Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Jeff D

Default Missing Ethernet Interface

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, rjubio wrote:

> Jeff D wrote:

> > > Yes. Now it change to
> > > 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network
> > > Connection (rev 02)
> > > from being unrecognized. But still my ifconfig -a doesnt show other
> > > interface.
> > >

> > try
> > modprobe e1000
> >
> Still nothing. Do I need to compile a custom kernel?

check your dmesg output, it should say something about a new interface
being found. then you can try a ifconfig eth1 up, change eth1 to what ever
matches in the demsg, if there is anything in there. If that works you
can edit your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 AM
rjubio

Jeff D wrote:

[...]

What I have here from the beginning is sit0? Is it possible that that is
the my extra interface?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Jeff D

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, rjubio wrote:

> Jeff D wrote:

> > > Still nothing. Do I need to compile a custom kernel?
> > >

> > check your dmesg output, it should say something about a new interface
> > being found. then you can try a ifconfig eth1 up, change eth1 to what ever
> > matches in the demsg, if there is anything in there. If that works you
> > can edit your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly
> >

> What I have here from the beginning is sit0? Is it possible that that is the
> my extra interface?

did you get any out put from dmesg about an interface? If so, it would
help to post that, but no, sit0 wouldn't be the new interface, it should
be something like ethN

also, there's no need to reply to me, please just send messages to the list.

thx
--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:23:45PM +0800, rjubio wrote:
> Jeff D wrote:

>>> Yes. Now it change to
>>> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network
>>> Connection (rev 02)
>>> from being unrecognized. But still my ifconfig -a doesnt show other interface.
>>>
>> try modprobe e1000
>>
> Still nothing. Do I need to compile a custom kernel?

What kernel version is it?

FWIW, I don't see product ID 10BD in the aliases of the module e1000 in
my 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel (rev. 12).

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-06-2009, 08:13 AM
rjubio

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

I would just like to ask how can i make my machine recognize the other
eth interface.
Here is the result of lspci
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 10bd (rev
02)
My other interface is working just fine. I would just like to have an
extra one.

Have you done "update-pciids"

Yes. Now it change to
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 02)
from being unrecognized. But still my ifconfig -a doesnt show other interface.

try modprobe e1000

Still nothing. Do I need to compile a custom kernel?

What kernel version is it?

FWIW, I don't see product ID 10BD in the aliases of the module e1000 in
my 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel (rev. 12).

Solved it I used a different driver e1000e. Thanks everyone.