Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 AM
oxy

Default apt-get cannot conect to server: system problem

> What is the value of the environment variable $http_proxy?
no proxy

I solved the problem with `apt-get update` by giving resolved
names in /etc/apt/sources.list like bellow

deb ftp://128.30.2.36/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://204.152.191.39/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://35.9.37.225/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://64.50.236.52/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://130.89.149.225/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

Obviously i have a dns problem. My firefox and epipphany-browser
do no longer rersolve names and give connection time out everytime.
Interestingly konqueror resolves all names. So, the problem is
somewhere in my system. Any tip?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 AM
"Samir Cury"

Man, this is weird, but i don't think is a good idea to put out the ip's* on sources.list if you can just solve dns problem.

Take the nameservers from your /etc/resolv.conf and do a nslookup like that

$nslookup <nameserver> <the_name_you_want_to_query>

and see what you got, maybe a problem on your ISP or just internal network.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
oxy

$nslookup <nameserver> <the_name_you_want_to_query>

This works fine. Commands host and nslookup resolve names.
Konqueror does too. firefox, epipphany-browser, apt-get and
symnaptic do NOT. But they work fine with ip addresses.

Weird!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
oxy

this is for the gurus .
i connected to a different ISP and everything works again.
Sth for the gurus to explain and eventally correct.

Why apt-get, firefox n epiphany couldnt resolve names if the system
could (and konqueror too) and with the new ISP they can?
Obviouly apt-get, firefox n epiphany use a resolving method
thats different from nslookup and konqueror. And the former
did not work at the previous isp.

Both ISP where home dhcp providers, but in different countries.
The ISP were firefox n epiphany resolve names is the one through
which i installed the system. The system was not changed in the
meantime.