Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Default Debian menu in K menu

André Neves wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'd like to know why is there a Debian menu inside the main K menu and
> why are there so many applications "hidden" in there, even though in
> many cases there exist other suitable, more direct places for them in
> the first level of the menu.
Often because these packages don't ship the '.desktop' file. Feel free to file a wishlist
bug(s) using reportbug utility to request having such a file against appropriate packages.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2009 January 05 15:06:16 André Neves wrote:
> I'd like to know why is there a Debian menu inside the main K menu and
> why are there so many applications "hidden" in there, even though in
> many cases there exist other suitable, more direct places for them in
> the first level of the menu.

The Debian "menu" system predates the standardization of .desktop files and
their location, and its accessible outside of X. It had its 1.0 release in
1997, the year before the KDE 1.0 release. What you see under the K menu is
just one of the hooks into the Debian "menu" system.

While installing .desktop files to the correct place(s) is good, installing a
correct menu file is better. IMHO, the toplevel "Debian" menu is "noise" and
should be deleted with it's contents moving to toplevel in the K menu.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,05.Jan.09, 16:13:08, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> While installing .desktop files to the correct place(s) is good,
> installing a correct menu file is better. IMHO, the toplevel "Debian"
> menu is "noise" and should be deleted with it's contents moving to
> toplevel in the K menu.

Unfortunately many Window Managers don't support .desktop files. That
means the Debian menu system is not likely to disappear for a while.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 2009 January 16 15:58:41 Andrei Popescu wrote:
>On Mon,05.Jan.09, 16:13:08, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> While installing .desktop files to the correct place(s) is good,
>> installing a correct menu file is better. IMHO, the toplevel "Debian"
>> menu is "noise" and should be deleted with it's contents moving to
>> toplevel in the K menu.
>
>Unfortunately many Window Managers don't support .desktop files. That
>means the Debian menu system is not likely to disappear for a while.

Read me again. I wasn't proposing it disappear, but rather be more integrated
into the system. Instead of:

KMenu

+-Stuff
| |
| +-KStuff

+-Crap

+-Crappy Stuff

+-Debian

+-Stuff
| |
| +DebStuff

+-Utilities

I'd prefer it be integrated like:

KMenu

+-Stuff
| |
| +-KStuff
| |
| +-DebStuff

+-Crap

+-Crappy Stuff

+-Utilities

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,16.Jan.09, 17:36:25, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 2009 January 16 15:58:41 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Mon,05.Jan.09, 16:13:08, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >> While installing .desktop files to the correct place(s) is good,
> >> installing a correct menu file is better. IMHO, the toplevel "Debian"
> >> menu is "noise" and should be deleted with it's contents moving to
> >> toplevel in the K menu.
> >
> >Unfortunately many Window Managers don't support .desktop files. That
> >means the Debian menu system is not likely to disappear for a while.
>
> Read me again. I wasn't proposing it disappear, but rather be more integrated

Sorry...

> into the system. Instead of:

The KDE and Gnome maintainers don't seem to share your view (search the
archives of debian-devel). They would rather have the Debian menu
disappear.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2009-01-17 11:13:42, schrieb Andrei Popescu:
> The KDE and Gnome maintainers don't seem to share your view (search the
> archives of debian-devel). They would rather have the Debian menu
> disappear.

But since KDE and Gnome sucks and there are MANY WM-Only user,
"menu" will never disappear...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi