Old 01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Default Debian way to set up iptables rules?

Hi.

Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
on system boot?

I mean the /etc/init.d scripts is long gone...

Thanks,
Chris.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Ken Teague

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
> on system boot?

I would put them in an init.d script.

> I mean the /etc/init.d scripts is long gone...

Which script(s) are you referring to? I had to create my own.

- Ken

Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2009 January 05 13:59:54 Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
> on system boot?

I've just been calling iptables-restore from rc.local and calling
iptables-save as needed. I'd love to know if there is a more official way to
do this.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Christoph Anton Mitterer

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 12:31 -0800, Ken Teague wrote:
> Which script(s) are you referring to? I had to create my own.
Uhm until iptables 1.2.7-8 or so a init.d script was provided with the
package...

Chris.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> [2009 Jan 05 14:02 -0600]:
> Hi.
>
> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
> on system boot?
>
> I mean the /etc/init.d scripts is long gone...

I've been using Firehol on "client" machines like my laptop or
stand-alone desktops. On my personal machines that also do some
serving I've found Shorewall a good choice.

- Nate >>

Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
"Javier Barroso"

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> * Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> [2009 Jan 05 14:02 -0600]:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
>> on system boot?

You could use post-up and pre-up hooks in /etc/network/interfaces

regards

Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
"Koh Choon Lin"

>>> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
>>> on system boot?

The GPLed Firestarter can generate a set of script, though it rids any
CLI configurations.

--
Koh Choon Lin

Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Michael Pobega

Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:59:54PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Which is the default/designated way in Debian to set up iptables rules
> on system boot?
>
> I mean the /etc/init.d scripts is long gone...
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

I used to use iptables, until I found Shorewall. It's a completely
configuration file driver implementation of iptables, but it makes
writing the rules so much easier. You just have to give it information
about your interfaces, and ports you use, and shorewall really handles
the rest.

I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a GUI firewall, but doesn't
want to configure iptables manually.

Edit: I resent this message because something went wrong with the
last...I have no clue what happened.

--
Follow my Tweets at http://twitter.com/pobega
Or read my blog @ http://pobega.wordpress.com

AIM:BlockMeHarder MSNobega@gmail.com JIMobega@jaim.at
SIPobega@ekiga.net ICQ:467047394

Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:35:32 -0500
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> Edit: I resent this message because something went wrong with the
> last...I have no clue what happened.

It hit the list encrypted.

Celejar