Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
mitch

Default Iceweasel problem

Using Iceweasel 3.0.5-1, or was using, and yesterday the message below
started.

"Iceweasel is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
window, you must first close the existing Iceweasel process, or restart
your system."

Googled for reasons and possible fixes. Killed iceweasel processes.

Still the error message persists.

Is this a bug?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
"Michael Marsh"

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM, mitch <debianuser@mll.dissimulo.com> wrote:
> Using Iceweasel 3.0.5-1, or was using, and yesterday the message below
> started.
>
> "Iceweasel is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
> window, you must first close the existing Iceweasel process, or restart
> your system."
>
> Googled for reasons and possible fixes. Killed iceweasel processes.
>
> Still the error message persists.

Try looking for (and removing) lock files in your iceweasel profile
directory. Some may start with a dot. It looks like "lock" (a
symlink) and ".parentlock" will be the offending files.
Iceweasel/Firefox usually removes these when it exits, but depending
on how you kill it, it might not have the opportunity.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh

Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
mitch

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:07 -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM, mitch <debianuser@mll.dissimulo.com> wrote:
> > Using Iceweasel 3.0.5-1, or was using, and yesterday the message below
> > started.
> >
> > "Iceweasel is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
> > window, you must first close the existing Iceweasel process, or restart
> > your system."
> >
> > Googled for reasons and possible fixes. Killed iceweasel processes.
> >
> > Still the error message persists.
>
> Try looking for (and removing) lock files in your iceweasel profile
> directory. Some may start with a dot. It looks like "lock" (a
> symlink) and ".parentlock" will be the offending files.
> Iceweasel/Firefox usually removes these when it exits, but depending
> on how you kill it, it might not have the opportunity.
>
> --
> Michael A. Marsh
> http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh
> http://mamarsh.blogspot.com
> http://36pints.blogspot.com

Thanks. That was one of the tips I did find, the parentlock.

Removed it before killing all and Iceweasel will still not start.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
"Michael Marsh"

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM, mitch <debianuser@mll.dissimulo.com> wrote:
> Thanks. That was one of the tips I did find, the parentlock.
>
> Removed it before killing all and Iceweasel will still not start.

What about after killing? Did iceweasel re-create the lock files?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:16:41 -0500, mitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:07 -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM, mitch wrote:
> > > Using Iceweasel 3.0.5-1, or was using, and yesterday the message below
> > > started.
> > >
> > > "Iceweasel is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
> > > window, you must first close the existing Iceweasel process, or restart
> > > your system."
> > >
> > > Googled for reasons and possible fixes. Killed iceweasel processes.
> > >
> > > Still the error message persists.
> >
> > Try looking for (and removing) lock files in your iceweasel profile
> > directory. Some may start with a dot. It looks like "lock" (a
> > symlink) and ".parentlock" will be the offending files.
> > Iceweasel/Firefox usually removes these when it exits, but depending
> > on how you kill it, it might not have the opportunity.

> Thanks. That was one of the tips I did find, the parentlock.
>
> Removed it before killing all and Iceweasel will still not start.

Check if you have any "firefox-bin" processes left on your system. If
so, kill them. (I may be telling you something that you already know,
but since you only mention killing "iceweasel" processes I wanted to
make sure.)

Florian |

Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
mitch

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:26 -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM, mitch <debianuser@mll.dissimulo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks. That was one of the tips I did find, the parentlock.
> >
> > Removed it before killing all and Iceweasel will still not start.
>
> What about after killing? Did iceweasel re-create the lock files?
>
> --
> Michael A. Marsh
> http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh
> http://mamarsh.blogspot.com
> http://36pints.blogspot.com

"Did iceweasel re-create the lock files?"

No, I have checked and it is any where

Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
mitch

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 17:27 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:16:41 -0500, mitch wrote:

> > > Try looking for (and removing) lock files in your iceweasel profile
> > > directory. Some may start with a dot. It looks like "lock" (a
> > > symlink) and ".parentlock" will be the offending files.
> > > Iceweasel/Firefox usually removes these when it exits, but depending
> > > on how you kill it, it might not have the opportunity.
>
> > Thanks. That was one of the tips I did find, the parentlock.
> >
> > Removed it before killing all and Iceweasel will still not start.
>
> Check if you have any "firefox-bin" processes left on your system. If
> so, kill them. (I may be telling you something that you already know,
> but since you only mention killing "iceweasel" processes I wanted to
> make sure.)
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

"Check if you have any "firefox-bin" processes left on your system. If
so, kill them."

None running.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
"André Neves"

Mitch, please clarify whether there are still any iceweasel|firefox
processes running (i.e. if any survived the killing).

André

Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
mitch

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 15:29 -0200, André Neves wrote:
> Mitch, please clarify whether there are still any iceweasel|firefox
> processes running (i.e. if any survived the killing).
>
> André

There are none running.

Use Gnome as desk top and looked in System Monitor and it shows no
iceweasel or firefox running.

Grep for either and there are none running

Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2009 January 05 11:29:48 André Neves wrote:
> Mitch, please clarify whether there are still any iceweasel|firefox
> processes running (i.e. if any survived the killing).

Wow! How many times are you guys going to tell the guy the same thing?

Mitch, could you please post the output of:
ps auwx | grep -E 'ice|fire|xul'
and:
find ~/.mozilla -iname '*lock*' -ls

The ps command should show most processes related to iceweasel, as well as
some unrelated, and let you and us confirm that they aren't running. If they
are, perhaps you should kill them. I generally like the following commands:
kill -INT <process_id>
kill -TERM <process_id>
kill -KILL <process_id>
in that order, checking to see if the process is still around after issuing
each one. The INT command is a like a "Ctrl+C"... most programs will cleanup
and exit if they can, others will abort a long-running process and request
more input. The TERM is more severe, an explicit instruction to terminate
ASAP. The KILL is most severe, shuts down the program without giving it a
chance to cleanup, the next time it would be eligible to receive a "signal"
(technical term).

After all the iceweasel processes are cleaned up, the find command above
should list all the lock files, verbosely. You can inspect the files
individually, but they are mostly likely ready to be removed. Repeating the
command but with '-delete' instead of '-ls' should do that.

If iceweasel continues to give the same error after killing those processes
and removing those files, we may have to monitor iceweasel as it starts up
using strace and/or ltrace. This will produce a lot of information but, when
properly filtered, should indicate the next steps.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))