Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Default New to Linux

Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:03:17 +0200
> "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin, Larry D wrote:
>>> This E-mail and any of its attachments []
>> This is off-topic, but any info on Debian public lists is publicly
>> archived and therefore the noted message has no sense.
>
> Notes like this doesn't make sense at all
I don't agree. Have you deleted first letter in this thread just after reading
it?

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
David Goodenough

On Monday 05 January 2009, Martin, Larry D wrote:
> I have downloaded the Debian 40r5 for S390 and have it on CD.
>

> When I load the CD into the HMC (zSeries z9BC) and try to do the "Load
> from CD/DVD" operation I get:
>
> ""An error has occurred while trying to obtain a list of the software
> that can be loaded."
>

> I am not sure if this is an HMC or a Debian message. It has a message
> number of ACT36201 but I cannot find a reference to that message.
>

> Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong?
>

> Thanks, ..........Larry
>

> Larry D. Martin
>
> Mainframe Systems Support
>
> Office of Information Technology and Communications
>
> 301.883.7335
>

> .................................................. .........................
>... This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George’s
> County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit Court
> proprietary information, which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail
> is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are
> hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action
> taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail
> in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the
> original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

That looks like an IBM style error message to me - Linux does not tend to
go in for message numbers.

I would guess that what you need to do is boot from the CD rather than
Load from it. You may find the best thing to do is to ask on the Linux-390
list ( LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu ) as that is where most of the Linux 390
experts are to be found.

David

Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/05/09 08:20, Martin, Larry D wrote:

I have downloaded the Debian 40r5 for S390 and have it on CD.

When I load the CD into the HMC (zSeries z9BC) and try to do the “Load
from CD/DVD” operation I get:

“"An error has occurred while trying to obtain a list of the software
that can be loaded."

I am not sure if this is an HMC or a Debian message. It has a message
number of ACT36201 but I cannot find a reference to that message.

Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong?

There's a Debian list dedicated to S390, which should have the
specialized info you need.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:41:57 +0200
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank Lanitz wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:03:17 +0200

> >> This is off-topic, but any info on Debian public lists is publicly
> >> archived and therefore the noted message has no sense.
> >
> > Notes like this doesn't make sense at all
> I don't agree. Have you deleted first letter in this thread just
> after reading it?

I was referring to the confidential stuff

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Frank Lanitz escreveu:
> I was referring to the confidential stuff

But you quoted Eugene's comment ont it, which made your message somewhat
ambiguous as to what you were refering to.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Samir Shrestha

Hello,
I am Samir form India. I have been using computers since I was in 5th grade that is when I knew and learnt about Windows. After years of usage I still found windows to be a mere illusion which look good but hurts lot. That is when I came I learnt about unix and came in touch with Mac, which made me realize that ' the best co-existed with average '. *Mac OS X*Leopard*has been a revolution and taught me to be ' free ' in true terms. But Linux has really given me a new sense of freedom. I totally advocate the philosophy and ideology of Linux users, developers and forums.*Honestly, I am pretty new to Linux but want to learn to learn more and be a part of this team. I tried to use Kubuntu, unfortunately my old PC could not run it so I had to settle down with Ubuntu which is marvelous. I want to explore Linux and will need support from you guys.

Is this the right place to put up my questions..I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in my Pentium (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.*

Felicitations

Samir Shrestha

Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Kaj Haulrich

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 14:46:39 Samir Shrestha wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Samir form India. I have been using computers since I was in
> 5th grade that is when I knew and learnt about Windows. After
> years of usage I still found windows to be a mere illusion which
> look good but hurts lot. That is when I came I learnt about unix
> and came in touch with Mac, which made me realize that ' the best
> co-existed with average '. Mac OS X Leopard has been a
> revolution and taught me to be ' free ' in true terms. But Linux
> has really given me a new sense of freedom. I totally advocate
> the philosophy and ideology of Linux users, developers and
> forums. Honestly, I am pretty new to Linux but want to learn to
> learn more and be a part of this team. I tried to use Kubuntu,
> unfortunately my old PC could not run it so I had to settle down
> with Ubuntu which is marvelous. I want to explore Linux and will
> need support from you guys.
>
> Is this the right place to put up my questions..
> I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in
> my Pentium (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.

It is doable, but i do not recommend it. (K)Ubuntu will run really
slow on those specifications. But if you want the *buntu experience,
you could install Xubuntu, which is a leaner desktop environment.
And if you want some special (K)Ubuntu applications, you can still
install most of them without running the entire, memory-hungry
environments.

And: welcome to the wonderful world of linux!
Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Kubuntu 8.10 *********

Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Jonas Norlander

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Samir Shrestha <samirshrest@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in my Pentium
> (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.
> Felicitations
>
> Samir Shrestha

I think that you can manage with the CPU but you need more RAM. Even
if you would install Xubuntu i think you need more RAM.

/ Jonas

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
"Mario Andes"

Hi Samir,

as you have recognized, linux or unix systems in general let you be freetoi decide
what you need, get what you need.

With a CPU like yours almost everything is possible ;-)
You could put more memory in your PC and (K)Ubuntu will run better than now.
But linux systems as they are like unix systems (files are handled differently)
don't need much memory to work. Embedded linux systems are even smaller and work
well in devices where you do not expect it.

Greetings
Mario

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:46:39 +0100, Samir Shrestha <samirshrest@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Samir form India. I have been using computers since I was in 5th
> grade
> that is when I knew and learnt about Windows. After years of usage I
> still
> found windows to be a mere illusion which look good but hurts lot. That
> is
> when I came I learnt about unix and came in touch with Mac, which made me
> realize that ' the best co-existed with average '. Mac OS X Leopard has
> been a revolution and taught me to be ' free ' in true terms. But Linux
> has
> really given me a new sense of freedom. I totally advocate the philosophy
> and ideology of Linux users, developers and forums. Honestly, I am pretty
> new to Linux but want to learn to learn more and be a part of this team.
> tried to use Kubuntu, unfortunately my old PC could not run it so I had
> settle down with Ubuntu which is marvelous. I want to explore Linux and
> will
> need support from you guys.
>
> Is this the right place to put up my questions..
> I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in my
> Pentium
> (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.
>
> Felicitations
>
> Samir Shrestha

Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 2.6.27-13-generic

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Earl Violet

--- On Tue, 3/24/09, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Samir Shrestha <samirshrest@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in my Pentium
> (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.
> Felicitations
>
> Samir Shrestha

I think that you can manage with the CPU but you need more RAM. Even
if you would install Xubuntu i think you need more RAM.

/ Jonas

I run Ubuntu 8.10 on a PIII 800 with 512 MB RAM with no problems.* I ran it on a similar machine with 384 MB and it was a little slow
but not bad.* I lighter window manager does help though.* I use FVWM to get things moving quickly.

Earl