Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Volkan YAZICI

Default Relay-Only MTA and `-s' Parameter

Hi,

Majority of the system daemons running on server machines require a
mail/sendmail command to report their status information. For this
purpose, I needed to setup a relay-only MTA. But unfortunately, none of
esmtp, msmtp, ssmtp programs accept `-s' (subject) parameter. I can roll
my own (possibly buggy) wrapper script around those agents but I just
wanted to learn if there is any realy-only MTA available in Debian
repositories that can handle `-s' parameter.

Regards.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2009 January 05 03:17:59 Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> Majority of the system daemons running on server machines require a
> mail/sendmail command to report their status information. For this
> purpose, I needed to setup a relay-only MTA. But unfortunately, none of
> esmtp, msmtp, ssmtp programs accept `-s' (subject) parameter. I can roll
> my own (possibly buggy) wrapper script around those agents but I just
> wanted to learn if there is any realy-only MTA available in Debian
> repositories that can handle `-s' parameter.

Use the mailx package to provide /usr/bin/mail. It handles the "-s <Subject>"
option, and simply hands the message off to the local MTA, which may be
relay-only, if desired.

My /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail are provided by
exim4-daemon-heavy, but neither accept the -s parameter. They will accept a
complete mail on stdin if recipients are specified, but that's not all.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))