Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Deephay

Default "Configuring network interface" slow

Greetings all,

I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.

Deephay

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Tristan Terpelle

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>
> Deephay

I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.

I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

because I have WICD manage my network connections.

So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
response and waiting for the timeout period.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Deephay

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Tristan Terpelle
<tristan.terpelle@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Deephay
>>

> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>

> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>
> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
> response and waiting for the timeout period.
nah, I am using static IP configuration... so I'm very confused.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-01-05 11:14 +0100, Tristan Terpelle wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Deephay
>>

> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>

> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>
> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
> response and waiting for the timeout period.

I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
responsible for that, you can see a report on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.

Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
the way and rebooting should fix it.

Sven

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-01-05 11:40 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
> responsible for that, you can see a report on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.
>
> Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
> the way and rebooting should fix it.

See also http://bugs.debian.org/465775.

Sven

Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Deephay

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2009-01-05 11:14 +0100, Tristan Terpelle wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Deephay
>>>

>> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
>> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>>

>> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>>
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>>
>> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
>> response and waiting for the timeout period.
>
> I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
> responsible for that, you can see a report on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.
>
> Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
> the way and rebooting should fix it.

After I removed the rule, "Configuring network interface" step is
still very slow for both startup and shutdown/reboot, I have only one
eth0 static configured interface, I do not know why.