-   -   "Configuring network interface" slow (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/222487-configuring-network-interface-slow.html)

Deephay 01-05-2009 01:06 AM

"Configuring network interface" slow

Greetings all,

I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.

Deephay

Tristan Terpelle 01-05-2009 09:14 AM

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>
> Deephay

I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.

I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

because I have WICD manage my network connections.

So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
response and waiting for the timeout period.

Deephay 01-05-2009 09:29 AM

"Configuring network interface" slow

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Tristan Terpelle
<tristan.terpelle@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Deephay
>>

> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>

> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>
> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
> response and waiting for the timeout period.
nah, I am using static IP configuration... so I'm very confused.

Sven Joachim 01-05-2009 09:40 AM

On 2009-01-05 11:14 +0100, Tristan Terpelle wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Deephay
>>

> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>

> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>
> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
> response and waiting for the timeout period.

I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
responsible for that, you can see a report on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.

Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
the way and rebooting should fix it.

Sven

Sven Joachim 01-05-2009 09:44 AM

On 2009-01-05 11:40 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
> responsible for that, you can see a report on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.
>
> Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
> the way and rebooting should fix it.

See also http://bugs.debian.org/465775.

Sven

Deephay 01-06-2009 04:04 AM

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2009-01-05 11:14 +0100, Tristan Terpelle wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:06:19 +0800, Deephay <tudoxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> I found the "Configuring network interface" step in the boot
>>> sequence takes quite some time recently, does anyone have the same
>>> problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Deephay
>>>

>> I've had the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10. When my laptop didn't have a LAN
>> connection, it would easily take 30 seconds to get past the network config.
>>

>> I checked /etc/network/interfaces and removed the lines
>>
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>> because I have WICD manage my network connections.
>>
>> So I figure the cause of the delay is the DHCP client not getting a
>> response and waiting for the timeout period.
>
> I don't think this is the problem. Rather, changed udev rules are
> responsible for that, you can see a report on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/192845.
>
> Short summary: moving /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of
> the way and rebooting should fix it.

After I removed the rule, "Configuring network interface" step is
still very slow for both startup and shutdown/reboot, I have only one
eth0 static configured interface, I do not know why.