Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Ken Irving

Default mousewheel scroll

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 04:09:54PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> On Sid, using the evdev mousedriver in xorg.conf, scrolling is terrible.
> It just is unworkable. Have to use the scrollbar.
>
> Unfortunately using FF on XP under VMware it's terrific.

I'm not sure what scrollbar you're referring to, but maybe in a browser?
There are several configurable settings in FireFox/IceWeasel that control
how scrolling via the mouse wheel works; try entering "about:config" as
a url, and poke around a bit.

Ken

--
Ken Irving

Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Sid, using the evdev mousedriver in xorg.conf, scrolling is terrible.
> It just is unworkable. Have to use the scrollbar.
>
> Unfortunately using FF on XP under VMware it's terrific.
>
> Anybody have good experiences with mousewheel scroll?
>
> What driver do you use?
>
> Update the driver?
>
> hugo@debian:~$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-input-evdev
> xserver-xorg-input-evdev:
> Installed: 1:1.2.0-1
> Candidate: 1:2.0.8-1
> Version table:
> 1:2.0.8-1 0
> 500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> *** 1:1.2.0-1 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Hugo

Hi,

I use evdev on a Lenny/Sid and don't have problems with scrolling:

Package: xserver-xorg-input-evdev
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1:2.1.0-1

If you're referring to Iceweasel then there's settings you can change
easily in the "settings" panel (like disabling smooth and/or auto
scrolling) , or you can use an add-on like "SmoothWheel" or "Yet Another
Smooth Scrolling" which are easy to configure and full of options.

What video driver are you using ? Is the bad scrolling linked to some
web pages only, like Flash ?

Tom

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Ron Johnson

On Sid, using the evdev mousedriver in xorg.conf, scrolling is terrible.
It just is unworkable. Have to use the scrollbar.

Unfortunately using FF on XP under VMware it's terrific.

Anybody have good experiences with mousewheel scroll?

What driver do you use?

Update the driver?

hugo@debian:~$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-evdev:
Installed: 1:1.2.0-1
Candidate: 1:2.0.8-1
Version table:
1:2.0.8-1 0
500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
*** 1:1.2.0-1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

The scroll wheel works fine for me. (Note, though, that I do run
gpm, and evdev 2.0.8-1. But it's always worked for me with the
nvidia driver.)

Using the nvidia driver:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Using the nv driver:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-evdev:
Installed: 1:2.0.8-1
Candidate: 1:2.0.8-1
Version table:
1:2.1.0-1 0
1 http://ftp.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
*** 1:2.0.8-1 0
500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Stephen Liu

--- Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sid, using the evdev mousedriver in xorg.conf, scrolling is
> terrible.
> It just is unworkable. Have to use the scrollbar.
>
> Unfortunately using FF on XP under VMware it's terrific.
>
> Anybody have good experiences with mousewheel scroll?
>
> What driver do you use?
>
> Update the driver?
>
> hugo@debian:~$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-input-evdev
> xserver-xorg-input-evdev:
> Installed: 1:1.2.0-1
> Candidate: 1:2.0.8-1
> Version table:
> 1:2.0.8-1 0
> 500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> *** 1:1.2.0-1 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hi Hugo,

I'm not quite sure what difficult you have encountered. I learned a
bitter experience on mouse before, almost unable to control it. Later
I found a scanning program taking up >96% CPU usage. Please run "top"
on terminal to check whether is there any program taking up large CPU
resource.

B.R.
Stephen L

Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

thveillon.debian wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :

Hi,

[...]

I am aware of those. Makes no diff.

What video driver are you using ? Is the bad scrolling linked to some
web pages only, like Flash ?

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run

Poor scrolling is general.

Hugo

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote :
[snip]

>> What video driver are you using ? Is the bad scrolling linked to some
>> web pages only, like Flash ?
>>

> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run
>
> Poor scrolling is general.
>
> Hugo

I'm running NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.18-pkg2.run, it's a beta but no
problem so far, and it was the only one to build on my 2.6.28 kernel
when I installed it. Card is a GeForce 8600GT. As said evdev is
1:2.0.8-1 here, so maybe you're victim of a regression in never package ?

My xorg.conf mouse thing looks like :

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "evdev"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device"
"/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB-PS.2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
EndSection

Nothing special in the video driver, option composite is set to "true".

I use evdev because it's the only one giving me horizontal scrolling
with my logitech mouse.

I have no problem whatsoever with scrolling/OpenGl/browser.

Tom

Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

thveillon.debian wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote :
[snip]

[...]

I have 2 videocards/monitors/keyboards/mice and my mouse section looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
Option "Name" "A4Tech USB Optical Mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 4 5"
Option "Buttons" "12"
EndSection

and the mouse is a 2 wheel optical mouse. Only with evdev can I get
horizontal scroll to work right with the 2nd wheel. But the vertical
scroll with the first wheel is a fright. It just barely works.

Except with XP under VMware it works just beautifully, but there I
cannot use the 2nd wheel.

I'll try upgrading the evdev driver but I don't hold out much hope.

Hugo

Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

thveillon.debian wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote :
[snip]

What video driver are you using ? Is the bad scrolling linked to some
web pages only, like Flash ?

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run

Poor scrolling is general.

<snip>

I run a two-seat. Something very interesting: on "my seat" vertical
scroll is poor. But on "the other seat" it is not!

Hugo