Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Ionel Mugurel Ciobica

Default xdm support for UTF-8 text in Xresources

Hi,

I recently installed lenny on a new computer and, like all other times I
installed Debian before, I had to customise the xdm files to suit my
needs. Nothing wrong so far.

Every time I input some UTF-8 text in Xresources and change the default
font from iso8859-1 to iso10646-1 (btw, why iso8859-1 is hardcoded in
the Xresources file?). Still OK so far. But when I restart xdm I get
ugly stuff instead of all non-ascii glyphs. 2 or 3 glyphs instead of one
and some of them empty squares. It is like xmd tries to broke down the
UTF-8 glyphs back into their 8-bits components and display them using
the iso8859-1 font.

The only solution I had is to iconv the UTF-8 files into iso8859-16 and
replace all the fonts with iso8859-16. Then it used to work. Now (since
lenny) even that is not working. All non-ascii glyphs are replaced with
their latin1 counterpart (ă shows as ã, ș as º, etc.)

I have a clean new system and I want to move everything to UTF-8,
no more hybrid UTF-8/iso8859-x. I am tired to edit by hand UTF-8 glyphs
in iso8859-x environement (for example UTF-8 ă is meta-D followed by
meta-ctrl-c in an xterm), etc.

Anyone else has similar problems with xdm not UTF-8 aware?

I checked the bugs, nobody filled anything similar.
Google has no help in this.
The fonts specified in Xresources file exists (listed by xlsfonts).
And this behaviour is there since hamm, slink and potato.

I don't want to migrate to gdm or kdm, I prefer to stick to xdm.
And I don't want only ascii (or latin1) glyphs in the welcome screen of
xdm.

I don't want to file a bug report if anyone has some suggestions or
similar problems with xdm.

Thank you for your time.

Ionel (debian user since 1997).

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed lenny on a new computer and, like all other times I
> installed Debian before, I had to customise the xdm files to suit my
> needs. Nothing wrong so far.
>
> Every time I input some UTF-8 text in Xresources and change the default
> font from iso8859-1 to iso10646-1 (btw, why iso8859-1 is hardcoded in
> the Xresources file?). Still OK so far. But when I restart xdm I get
> ugly stuff instead of all non-ascii glyphs. 2 or 3 glyphs instead of one
> and some of them empty squares. It is like xmd tries to broke down the
> UTF-8 glyphs back into their 8-bits components and display them using
> the iso8859-1 font.
Hello Ionel, it seems there is no some wide problem in Debian, but in particular package
(xdm this time). Please just file a bug against it using reportbug, so xdm maintainers can
judge better what to do with this.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor