Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
"Michael Habashy"

Default does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to put files on multiple dvds.

My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it just copy all the files and ask me for a new* dvd when you need it.

My multicd gives error :

exit

thor:/home/mjh# multicd --files /music/disk1/Pictures/
-- Options --
Files to backup:
* '/music/disk1/Pictures/'

Files to exclude:
* '/dev'
* '/lost+found'
* '/mnt'

* '/proc'
* '/tmp'
* '/usr/tmp'
* '/var/tmp'
* '/var/tmp/multicd_image_mount'
* '/var/tmp/multicd_image1'
* '/var/tmp/multicd_image2'

All the rest:

* addfiles: '0'
* cd_dev: '/dev/hda'
* cd_done: 'eject /dev/cdrom'
* cd_mount: '/mnt/cdrom1'
* cd_size: '4294967296'
* cdrecord: 'cdrecord -v blank=all -force speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data'

* check_config: '0'
* compress: '0'
* compress_level: '6'
* first_disc: '0'
* fs_type: 'ext2'
* help: '0'
* image_file1: '/var/tmp/multicd_image1'

* image_file2: '/var/tmp/multicd_image2'
* image_mount: '/var/tmp/multicd_image_mount/'
* index_file: '/var/tmp/multicd_index_9-1-2_17:37'
* maxfile_size: '3221225472'
* mkfs_opts: '-m 0 -q -F'

* multi: '1'
* noburn: '0'
* only_one: '0'
-- Options --
Creating ext2 filesystem on image file...
Copying files to CD image...
Ready to burn CD number 1.
*** Make sure a CD is in the drive. ***

About to run cdrecord like this:
cdrecord -v blank=all -force speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data '/var/tmp/multicd_image1'

(s)kip CD, (q)uit program, or (c)ontinue? c
Checking for an extra image file before the burn starts...

Burning your CD...
Creating ext2 filesystem on image file...
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
scsidev: 'ATA:0,0,0'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.2
SCSI buffer size: 64512

atapi: -1
Device type*** : Removable CD-ROM
Version******* : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities** :
Vendor_info*** : 'LITE-ON '
Identification : 'DVDRW LH-20A1P* '
Revision****** : 'KL0M'

Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)

Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording) (current)

Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags** : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE

Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1182464 = 1154 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
FIFO size***** : 12582912 = 12288 KB

Track 01: data* 4096 MB
Total size:**** 4704 MB (466:02.02) = 2097152 sectors
Lout start:**** 4704 MB (466:04/02) = 2097152 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
* ATIP start of lead in:* -150 (00:00/00)
Disk type:*** unknown dye (reserved id code)

Manuf. index: -1
Manufacturer: unknown (not in table)
Blocks total: 2298496 Blocks current: 2298496 Blocks remaining: 201344
Speed set to 5540 KB/s
Waiting for drive to calm down.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed** 4.0 in real force unknown mode for single se ssion.

Last chance to quit, starting real write*** 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Errno: 0 (Success), blank unit scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:* A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 05 00 00

Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.060s timeout 9600s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed** 4.0 in real force unknown mode for single se ssion.

No chance to quit anymore. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Copying files to CD image...
Blanking entire disk
Errno: 0 (Success), blank unit scsi sendcmd: no error

CDB:* A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 05 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.005s timeout 9600s
wodim: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
Writing* time:*** 0.017s

Can someone tell me what wodim is ?? how do i fix it ?
Again k3b creates a dvd perfectly...but unable to get multicd to create dvds

thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:02:16PM -0500, Michael Habashy wrote:
> I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
> I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
> The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to
> put files on multiple dvds.
> My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it
> just copy all the files and ask me for a new dvd when you need it.
>
> My multicd gives error :

I've never heard of multicd so I can't comment on its errors.

Personally, I'd tar up the big directory, zip it (or bzip2 it,
whatever), then pipe it through split, telling split to split it into
sizes appropriate to your DVD media.

The trick, of course, is restore since ideally you'd copy all the pieces
to some place, cat them together into the origional .tgz and then untar
it.

I haven't tried tar's multi-volume option. I don't know if it would
work if you tried writing out directly from tar to the raw dvd burner.

Have you considered a tape drive?

Doug.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Chris Jones

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:05:14PM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:02:16PM -0500, Michael Habashy wrote:
> > I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
> > I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
> > The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to
> > put files on multiple dvds.
> > My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it
> > just copy all the files and ask me for a new dvd when you need it.
> >
> > My multicd gives error :
>
> I've never heard of multicd so I can't comment on its errors.
>
> Personally, I'd tar up the big directory, zip it (or bzip2 it,
> whatever), then pipe it through split, telling split to split it into
> sizes appropriate to your DVD media.

A neat little utility named "dar" takes care of all the splitting for
you:

http://dar.linux.free.fr/doc/Tutorial.html

Hands on .. no fuss .. learn it in ten minutes .. has a bit of a French
accent .. but I hear the language is still spoken in some parts of the
world. :-)

I've used dar for 3+ months w/o a glitch .. did a "bare-metal" restore of
my old HDD when I switched to a faster, bigger one and nothing was lost..
nothing broke.

Relevant to the OP's quest is that dar handles splitting your backups
into manageable slices.. see the "-s" and "-S" options.

Some popular rescue live CD's include it as a standard tool .. IIRC,
it's part of the "grml" offer.

> The trick, of course, is restore since ideally you'd copy all the
> pieces to some place, cat them together into the origional .tgz and
> then untar it.

I restored from a single 16G USB stick so this was not an issue .. but
my understanding is that if your full backup lives on more than one
CD/DVD, dar will pause and prompt you to insert the medium that contains
the next "slice" .. which means that you don't need the HDD space to
"cat" your backup's instalments.

As advertised in "STEP 4" of the above tutorial, the "dar -x .." command
should take care of everything.

> I haven't tried tar's multi-volume option. I don't know if it would
> work if you tried writing out directly from tar to the raw dvd burner.
>
> Have you considered a tape drive?

Yes, and the price-tag left me speechless.

Thanks!

CJ

Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:01:08PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:05:14PM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > Have you considered a tape drive?
>
> Yes, and the price-tag left me speechless.

I wasn't suggesting a new drive, but an off-lease generation or two old
drive. I guess it depends on how many DVDs you need in a backup set
(and how much time gets spent making them).

Doug.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Ron Johnson