-   -   Where to put the source of kernel ?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/221354-where-put-source-kernel.html)

Abdelkader Belahcene 01-02-2009 02:20 PM

Where to put the source of kernel ??

Hi,
I want to install gspcav1 (version 20071224) from http://
mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download,
which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.

the built file, gspca_build, contains the folowing lines:

KERNELVER=`uname -r`
SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build

if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
echo -e 'E[31;44m'
echo -e 'E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
running kernelE[0m'
exit 1
fi

It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src

so when I ran gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??
Is it an error on the file gspca_build ?
must I add something or config to my source ??

thanks for hel

Justin Piszcz 01-02-2009 02:46 PM

Where to put the source of kernel ??

which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.

the built file, gspca_build, contains the folowing lines:

KERNELVER=`uname -r`
SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build

if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
echo -e 'E[31;44m'
echo -e 'E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
running kernelE[0m'
exit 1
fi

It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src

so when I ran gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??
Is it an error on the file gspca_build ?
must I add something or config to my source ??

thanks for hel

Your kernel should be in /usr/src and link the source to linux.

/usr/src/linux-2.6.28
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.28 /usr/src/linux

Run make menuconfig/make oldconfig in that directory.

Then try again.

Justin.

Sven Joachim 01-02-2009 03:22 PM

On 2009-01-02 16:46 +0100, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I want to install gspcav1 (version 20071224) from http://
>> mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download,
>> which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.
>>
>> the built file, gspca_build, contains the folowing lines:
>>
>> KERNELVER=`uname -r`
>> SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build
>>
>> if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
>> echo -e 'E[31;44m'
>> echo -e 'E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
>> running kernelE[0m'
>> exit 1
>> fi
>>

>> It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
>> I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src
>>
>> so when I ran gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??
>> Is it an error on the file gspca_build ?
>> must I add something or config to my source ??
>>

>> thanks for hel
>
> Your kernel should be in /usr/src and link the source to linux.
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.28
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.28 /usr/src/linux

This is nonsense, the kernel sources can be anywhere and this symlink is
not necessary. What is needed is a symlink in /lib/modules/`uname -r`:

# ln -sf /path/to/linux-x.y.z /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

Of course the kernel sources must match the running kernel.

Sven

Justin Piszcz 01-02-2009 05:04 PM

[...]

Most out-of-tree driver code however expects /usr/src/linux,
/usr/src/linux-2.4 to point to the kernel source.

Justin.

Sven Joachim 01-02-2009 05:21 PM

Where to put the source of kernel ??

[ No need to CC me, I read the list. Thanks. ]

On 2009-01-02 19:04 +0100, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> This is nonsense, the kernel sources can be anywhere and this symlink is
>> not necessary. What is needed is a symlink in /lib/modules/`uname -r`:
>>
>> # ln -sf /path/to/linux-x.y.z /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>>
>> Of course the kernel sources must match the running kernel.
>
> Most out-of-tree driver code however expects /usr/src/linux,
> /usr/src/linux-2.4 to point to the kernel source.

Really? I dare say that any such drivers are horribly broken. The
default location for the kernel source has been
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build for quite some time.

Sven

Tzafrir Cohen 01-02-2009 10:22 PM

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:20:24PM +0100, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install gspcav1 (version 20071224) from http://
> mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download,
> which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.

aptitude install gspca-modules-`uname -r`

Alternatively,

aptitude install module-assistant
m-a a-i gspca

> the built file, gspca_build, contains the folowing lines:
>
> KERNELVER=`uname -r`
> SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build
>
> if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
> echo -e 'E[31;44m'
> echo -e 'E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
> running kernelE[0m'
> exit 1
> fi
>

> It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
> I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src
>
> so when I ran gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??

Note that you need it here, but:

aptitude install-headers-`uname -r`

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Mark Allums 01-04-2009 08:38 PM

Mark Allums wrote:
> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I want to install gspcav1 (version 20071224) from http://
>>> mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download,
>>> which is a source package for set of webcam drivers.
>>>
>>> the built file, gspca_build, contains the folowing lines:
>>>
>>> KERNELVER=`uname -r`
>>> SRCDIR=/lib/modules/$KERNELVER/build
>>>
>>> if [ ! -d $SRCDIR/include/linux ]; then
>>> echo -e 'E[31;44m'
>>> echo -e 'E[1m FATAL you need to install the Kernel Source for your
>>> running kernelE[0m'
>>> exit 1
>>> fi
>>>

>>> It seraches for the kernel source in /lib/modules......
>>> I install the kernel source it is in /usr/src
>>>
>>> so when I ran gspca_build, it didn't find my source!!!??
>>> Is it an error on the file gspca_build ?
>>> must I add something or config to my source ??
>>>

>>> thanks for hel
>>
>> Your kernel should be in /usr/src and link the source to linux.

Nope. This is old information.

Debian has a package with the appropriate headers. It should match the
running kernel, this assumes you are running a Debian kernel. The
package name varies with architecture; mine is linux-headers-2.6-amd64.

The actual source, Debian or not, can go nearly anywhere. What is
needed is for a kernel module compile to be able to find the *dev*
headers.

Generically, you need a link in the lib/modules hierarchy to point to
the dev headers.

You can put the source in /usr/linux if you are careful, but *DO NOT*
make that link of which you speak. The linux link, if there, should be
left alone. If not there, don't add it.

Read the *current* kernel docs.

Mark Allums

Mark Allums 01-04-2009 09:00 PM

Mark Allums wrote:

The actual source, Debian or not, can go nearly anywhere. What is
needed is for a kernel module compile to be able to find the *dev*
headers.

Generically, you need a link in the lib/modules hierarchy to point to
the dev headers.

I said that wrong. I misspoke. The "dev" headers are what the name
implies. Used for compiling application software.

The kernel headers have *about* the same ABI, but they are what you need
to compile a kernel module with.

So, yes, Virginia, there is a difference.

I said the compile a module against the dev headers, but that is *wrong*.