Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default monitoring HP NetRaid-1si hardware raid card

I have four HP NetServer LPr PII/450 servers. Two of them have HP
NetRaid 1si hardware raid cards (the others have NetRaid-1 cards).

I've been told that if anything goes wrong with the drives that the
board has a really loud buzzer and will change the colour of the drive
LED to indicate which drive is failing. However, I'd either have to
swap the drive blind (its hot-swap) or shutdown to run the bios config
to see what's happening.

I'd like to be able to get an email telling me that there's a problem
(in case I'm not within earshot of the server), or perhaps get a wall
message; similar to mdadm tools for software raid.

None of the raid packages in Etch seem to work with this card. None of
the google links seem current (i.e. there used to be a couple of
programs available, but no-longer).

I see that the info I need is presented in
/proc/megaraid/hba1/diskdrives-ch0

Channel: 0 Id: 0 State: Online.
Vendor: HP Model: 36.4GB C 80-D94N Rev: D94N
Channel: 0 Id: 1 State: Online.
Vendor: HP Model: 36.4GB C 80-D94N Rev: D94N

and
/proc/megaraid/hba1/raiddrives-0-9

Logical drive: 0:, state: optimal
Span depth: 1, RAID level: 1, Stripe size: 64, Row size: 2
Read Policy: Adaptive, Write Policy: Write thru, Cache Policy: Cached IO

Logical drive: 1:, state: optimal
Span depth: 0, RAID level: 0, Stripe size:128, Row size: 0
Read Policy: No read ahead, Write Policy: Write thru, Cache Policy: Cached IO

----------

Before I go ahead and reinvent the wheel, does anyone have a reference
for a program that can monitor the drives (real and virtual) and send an
alert if a problem develops?

Or,

Is there a similar program that works well which I could alter to read
these files? Note, I'm not a C or perl programmer, so something written
in those languages wouldn't help me much.

Thanks,

Doug.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Arthur Marsh

I have four HP NetServer LPr PII/450 servers. Two of them have HP
NetRaid 1si hardware raid cards (the others have NetRaid-1 cards).

Have you posted this query to the HP business support forums?
Registration is required but fairly painless:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=118

Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:45:18PM +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote, on 2009-01-02 15:21:
> >I have four HP NetServer LPr PII/450 servers. Two of them have HP
> >NetRaid 1si hardware raid cards (the others have NetRaid-1 cards).
>
> Have you posted this query to the HP business support forums?
> Registration is required but fairly painless:
>
> http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=118

Thanks. I haven't yet. The HP website does have monitoring software
for dos/win, SCO, OS/2, and UnixWare.

Doug.