Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
"Daniel Cliff"

Default Transferring pictures from a digital camera (it was Best software under Gnome)

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Milan SKOCIC <milan.skocic@gmail.com> wrote:
> "F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management
> application. It allows for importing of your existing
> photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,
> as well as doing simple edits of photos".
>
> Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.
>
> Milan.

I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
Specifically, I would like to:
_ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
right?),
_ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
20090101_002.jpg etc)
_ organize the pictures in folders conveniently (f-spot creates
folders based on the date the picture was taken, and sometimes it's
more convenient to have a folder like "New Year's Eve party").

Thanks.
D.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Ron Johnson

"F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management
application. It allows for importing of your existing
photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,
as well as doing simple edits of photos".

Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.

Milan.

I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
Specifically, I would like to:
_ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
right?),

mv? cut-n-paste?

_ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
20090101_002.jpg etc)

jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg

_ organize the pictures in folders conveniently (f-spot creates
folders based on the date the picture was taken, and sometimes it's
more convenient to have a folder like "New Year's Eve party").

I'd use bash or maybe nautilus.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 AM
"Daniel Cliff"

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 01/01/09 19:59, Daniel Cliff wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Milan SKOCIC <milan.skocic@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> "F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management
>>> application. It allows for importing of your existing
>>> photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,
>>> as well as doing simple edits of photos".
>>>
>>> Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.
>>>
>>> Milan.
>>
>> I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
>> more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
>> folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
>> Specifically, I would like to:
>> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
>> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
>> right?),
>
> mv? cut-n-paste?
>
>> _ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
>> 20090101_002.jpg etc)
>
> jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg
>
>> _ organize the pictures in folders conveniently (f-spot creates
>> folders based on the date the picture was taken, and sometimes it's
>> more convenient to have a folder like "New Year's Eve party").
>
> I'd use bash or maybe nautilus.

Thank you, Ron.
I wasn't familiar with jhead. Really neat.
You're right, there's nothing as powerful as the command line.
Perhaps it's silly, but transferring pictures is such a common task,
that the least you have to do, the better. By that, I mean plug in the
camera - get things done according to pre-configured settings and
minimal user interaction - unplug the camera.
I could write a bash script like you suggested, but if there's a
program that does that, why re-invent the wheel? :-)
(But don't get me wrong, I liked your suggestion!)
Thanks again,
D.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 AM
"Daniel Cliff"

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
>> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
>> right?),
>
> mv? cut-n-paste?

BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that
might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
perhaps there are caveats to take into account.

Does the camera disregard directories?
Can you rename files in the camera's memory?
Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?
Any caveats?

>> _ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
>> 20090101_002.jpg etc)
>
> jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg

I definitely loved this one!

Thanks,
D.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Ron Johnson

_ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
right?),

mv? cut-n-paste?

BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that

$ mv /media/DSC-S730/${mumble}/*jpg /some/target/dir

might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
perhaps there are caveats to take into account.

Does the camera disregard directories?

No. There's a FAT file system in there.

Can you rename files in the camera's memory?

I wouldn't.

Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?

Ditto.

Any caveats?

Don't touch the folder system, just the picture files.

_ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
20090101_002.jpg etc)

jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg

I definitely loved this one!

I make an alias defined in /etc/bash_aliases :
alias renpics='jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg'

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Micha Feigin

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 02:27:17 -0200
"Daniel Cliff" <daniel.cliff.email@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
> >> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
> >> right?),
> >
> > mv? cut-n-paste?
>
> BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
> Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
> camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
> inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
> pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that
> might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
> perhaps there are caveats to take into account.
>
> Does the camera disregard directories?

It regards directories, some cameras ignore directory names they don't know,
some show you the pictures, some allow you to chose the directory to save to.
In any case they don't mind directories they don't know. If you delete the
directory they use they will just recreate it (sometimes it spreads the
pictures along several numbered directories, but it's the same principle).

> Can you rename files in the camera's memory?

You can, and all cameras I know will still show you the picture (might be a
different sort order if they sort by name though)

> Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?

Yes, most cameras will still show you the pictures even after you changed the
directory name but in any case they will not delete them. I even have pictures
from different cameras on the same card with different directory names, image
names, resolutions and file formats and even unrelated files as I sometimes use
the card as a usb disk since most laptops these days have a card reader.
The pocket camera doesn't show the full size raw from the slr, just the
previews and ignore the matching jpgs, that is the only issue.

I even used a card with a messed up file system where there were directories
you couldn't descend into the file sizes added up to 2TB on a 2GB sd card and
there was still 650mb free when you checked free space and the camera still
happily saved images.

> Any caveats?

There is sometimes a database file that helps the camera place the images, but
even if it's deleted or doesn't match the state of affairs on the card it will
be restored.

You can always format the card if it gets too disorganized (not bad time to
time) just make sure that you do it in the camera so it uses the correct format.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu January 1 2009, Daniel Cliff wrote:
> I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
> more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
> folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
> Specifically, I would like to:
> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
> right?),
digikam can delete all, all marked...
so when you MARK pictures for copyinf from camera to PC, you can then delete
just those.

> _ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
> 20090101_002.jpg etc)
hm.. dunno..

> _ organize the pictures in folders conveniently (f-spot creates
> folders based on the date the picture was taken, and sometimes it's
> more convenient to have a folder like "New Year's Eve party").

I created folders, usualy by date, with a description after that.. like
12-24-2008-xmas

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Jesus Arocho

Digikam will create directories based on the picture dates upon download and
you can manipulate the file names during download.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Ron Johnson:
> Daniel Cliff:
> > Ron Johnson:
> > > Daniel Cliff:
> > >
> > > jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg
> >
> > I definitely loved this one!
>
> I make an alias defined in /etc/bash_aliases :
> alias renpics='jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg'

Also, renrot can do this type of renaming, as well as lossless rotation
of 90, 180 or 270 degrees.
The format for renaming is in /etc/renrot/renrot.conf, e.g.:

name template = '%Y.%m.%d %H.%M.%S'

Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Daniel Cliff wrote:

_ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
right?),

mv? cut-n-paste?

BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that
might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
perhaps there are caveats to take into account.

Does the camera disregard directories?
Can you rename files in the camera's memory?
Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?
Any caveats?

When I got a mps3 player 2 years ago I made the mistake of messing with
the filesystem: don't do that! Had to run XP under VMware to reinstall
the Packard Bell firmware.

Hugo