Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Maurí­cio

Default Nice looking terminal applications

Hi,

I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
text-editors.) But I still need X because of
utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing.

Is it possible to get that without X? Can I get
my text-only terminal to use utf-8 and nice fonts?

Thanks,
Maurício

Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
ghe

Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM
"Benjamin M. A'Lee"

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0200, Maurí*cio wrote:
> I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
> just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
> vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
> text-editors.) But I still need X because of
> utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing.
>
> Is it possible to get that without X? Can I get
> my text-only terminal to use utf-8 and nice fonts?

For a higher resolution, you can add something like vga=<something> to
the kernel parameters in grub.conf/lilo.conf; vga=773 seemed to work
reasonably well last time I tried.

For utf-8 fonts and various other X11-style options, I suggest
installing the console-setup and console-terminus packages.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@subvert.org.uk
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0

Old 01-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Graham

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 00:35:45 +0000
"Benjamin M. A'Lee" <bma+lists@subvert.org.uk> wrote:

> For a higher resolution, you can add something like vga=<something> to
> the kernel parameters in grub.conf/lilo.conf; vga=773 seemed to work
> reasonably well last time I tried.

Best to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst by finding the defoptions line and
adding whatever vga=*** you want, which will automatically be added to
the kernel parameters when you update the kernel via your package
manager. An example below:

# defoptions=vga=773

Yes, keep that # there at the beginning of the line (on that section of
menu.lst, commenting out requires two hashes).

After doing that, run update-grub as root in a console, which will add
the defoptions to your default kernel parameters (this is done
automatically when you install a kernel using Debian package
management).

Graham

Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 AM
"David Schmidt"

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM, ghe <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

on a side note:

I like to use screen to see output that flew buy

Ctrl-A [

puts screen in copy mode where you can navigate the output with
up/down pageup/pagedown

followed by

--
David Schmidt | http://www.fm5.at

Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 15:32, ghe <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

> Maurí*cio wrote:
>
>> I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
>> just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
>> vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
>> text-editors.) But I still need X because of
>> utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing.
>>
>> Is it possible to get that without X? Can I get
>> my text-only terminal to use utf-8 and nice fonts?
>
> Define "nice" :-) It's possible to change the console font from huge to
> civilized (don't remember how; last time I did that, it involved some
> secret numbers on a grub menu line, I think), but you can't specify a
> *really* nice variable spaced,

<snip>

There is nothing "nice" about variable width fonts on the CLI :-)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Maurí­cio

I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
text-editors.) But I still need X because of
utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing. (...)

For a higher resolution, you can add something like
vga=<something> to the kernel parameters in grub.conf/lilo.conf;
(...) For utf-8 fonts and various other X11-style options,
I suggest installing the console-setup and console-terminus
packages.

Nice.
Is it possible to configure things like repeatkeys?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0200, Maurí*cio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've realized most of my time in a computer I use
> just an input/output line. (I don't even need a
> vt100-like terminal, since I use 'ed' or 'sam' as
> text-editors.) But I still need X because of
> utf-8 fonts and anti-aliasing.
>
> Is it possible to get that without X? Can I get
> my text-only terminal to use utf-8 and nice fonts?

Install console-terminus console-tools
Edit, as root, /etc/console-tools/config so that it looks roughly like
this:

# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num
APP_CHARSET_MAP=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc1=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=utf8
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=utf8
SCREEN_FONT=Uni3-TerminusBold16

Then reboot and see if you like it. It seems to do most of the
characters I'm interested in.
If you want to try others, they are located in the path:
dpkg -L console-terminus | grep Uni3-TerminusBold | less

--
Chris.
======