Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM
grok

Default Suggestion about file permissions being listed in debian packages

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 01 January 2009, grok <grok@resist.ca> wrote about 'Suggestion
about file permissions being listed in debian packages':
>A lot of issues with users come about because of incorrect
>file/dir permissions (for whatever reasons. Make no
>assumptions, please. There's a good reason why Ubuntu now
>exists).

I don't know that's true, but I'll assume it is for the benefit of further
discussion.

>Wouldn't the '/var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.list' files be
>the perfect place to explicitly lay out the file & directory
>permissions/user/group info for each file in a package?

Yes.

>That
>way, the users could, if necessary, check the present state
>of their packages by this list, first, to see if their
>problems might possibly be cleared up by adherence to this
>schema. The worst that could happen would be that the info
>in the .list file would be wrong -- itself a symptom of a
>bad install, etc.

I agree.

>Does this make sense?

Yes.

Try searching the archives for previous discussions (I don't remember any,
but the list has been around a *long* time), you might find some less
agreeable points of view that will help sharpen your argument. Assuming
no one pipes up here with an issue after a week or so. File a bug
(wishlist priority) against the "general" pseudo-package, and follow up
it's opening with a mail to debian-devel; that should get the ball
rolling.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))