Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Micha Feigin

Default grub2 and ext4

turns out the issue is ext4 which doesn't work with grub, but it does with
grub2. The problem is that the kernel seems to miss read the partition.

I setup another partition to rescue my system so now I have
sda1: ext4 - original system
sda5: ext3 - small rescue system

grub2 installed on both (current is suppoesed to boot from sda1)

if I set in grub
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28 root=/dev/sda1 ro

everything works fine

If I set
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28 root=/dev/sda1 ro

I get a kernel panic: couldn't load root file system tried: xfs

any idea on how I can get the kernel to recognize that it has ext4 file system
so that I can dump the rescue partition (i.e make the first option work)?

Thanx

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Micha Feigin

Sorry, turns out it was my bad. There was the wrong kernel installed in the
main partition, it was an xfs kernel instead of a ext4 kernel.

bottom line if anyone is interested. grub2 works with an ext4 root, you need a
kernel with ext4 support (2.6.28 at least) in that partition, one that does xfs
only will not work ;-)

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:29:49 +0200