Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Best software under Gnome

Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
"Daniel Cliff"

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I just acquired a Sony digital camera...a dsc-s730...

(Congrats on your new purchase!)

> and am trying to
> decide what software to use under Gnome to deal with the pics.

I'm no expert, but if you're looking for an image manipulation
software, the GIMP is one of the most popular ones.

apt-get install gimp

I'll also appreciate suggestions as regards software to transfer
images from the camera to a local folder.

HTH
D.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Paul E Condon

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 01:48:17PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I just acquired a Sony digital camera...a dsc-s730...and am trying to
> decide what software to use under Gnome to deal with the pics.
> The camera is recognized fine by the kernel...it appears as /dev/sdb1
>
> Where should I start ??

DigiKam works under Gnome. When you install it, the parts of KDE that
are needed are automagically installed by apt.

Also, look at Google's Picasa. It will give you some wriggle room in
dealing with sharing photos with family and friends who don't do Linux.

gThumb is the Gnome image viewer. It is less grand than DigiKam but
sometimes that is good.

I have all three running on my computer. I don't use anyway near all
the features of any one of them. They seem to all work together. YMMV
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
"Javier Barroso"

You can use F-spot:

"F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management

application.* It allows for importing of your existing

photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,

as well as doing simple edits of photos".

Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.

Milan.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Frank McCormick