Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Rick Pasotto

Default default gv paper size

How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?

--
"But a government in which the majority rule in all cases can not be based
on justice, even as far as men understand it." -- Henry David Thoreau

Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,01.Jan.09, 11:42:52, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
> always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?

Try 'dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1'

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:02:26PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu,01.Jan.09, 11:42:52, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
> > always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?
>
> Try 'dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1'

At least you did say 'try'. It would be better to speak from knowledge
instead of guessing.

My default system paper size is and always has been letter. gv does not
pay any attention.

--
"The authority of government ... to be strictly just, it must
have the sanction and consent of the governed. It can have no

Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:42:52AM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
> always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?

gv has menus where you can choose the settings. Choose the default
paper there.

However, if the ps file is done in A4, it will show A4. You would need
to convert the file so that it is rendered on a letter size paper.
This is assuming that we're talking about a ps file and not pdf.

Doug.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 12:28:39PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:42:52AM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
> > always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?
>
> gv has menus where you can choose the settings. Choose the default
> paper there.

That did it. It was not obvious to me that the button labeled 'State' is
where you change preferences.

--
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to

Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2009-01-01 12:28:39 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> gv has menus where you can choose the settings. Choose the default
> paper there.

There are also X resources. For instance, /etc/X11/app-defaults/GV
contains

!GV.fallbackPageMedia: a4

here (note that ! means that the line is commented out).

Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,01.Jan.09, 12:24:04, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:02:26PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu,01.Jan.09, 11:42:52, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > > How do I set the default paper size for gv? It always comes up A4 but I
> > > always want letter. Should I make in entry in ~/.gv? What is the format?
> >
> > Try 'dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1'
>
> At least you did say 'try'. It would be better to speak from knowledge
> instead of guessing.
>
> My default system paper size is and always has been letter. gv does not
> pay any attention.

Maybe it doesn't hurt to mention such details in the initial post, in
order to avoid unhelpful replies like mine

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)