Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
"Dean Chester"

Default Hibernate - Is it safe?

Hi,
At the moment i seem to be putting my laptop in to hibernate and then
when i start it up again i boot in to vista. So i ask is it save to
keep doing this?
Dean

Old 01-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Sebastian Krause

"Dean Chester" <dean.g.chester@googlemail.com> wrote:
> At the moment i seem to be putting my laptop in to hibernate and then
> when i start it up again i boot in to vista. So i ask is it save to
> keep doing this?

Yes. Linux saves its memory state in an area of the hard disk (a
Linux swap file or partition) which is not changed by Windows.

You only have to be careful in all cases where some data of the
Linux system might be changed while it is in hibernation:

- Some other installed Linux distribution or Live CD which writes
into your Debian partition or swap file.
- If you have a parition of your Vista system mounted, better
umount it before hibernation.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Dean Chester wrote:

> Hi,
> At the moment i seem to be putting my laptop in to hibernate and then
> when i start it up again i boot in to vista. So i ask is it save to
> keep doing this?
> Dean

I am having my share of problems with the hibernate feature in Lenny.

If I shutdown the laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) from a clean reboot using

sudo shutdown -h now

Then it shuts down properly.

However if I

hibernate -> reboot -> shutdown

then the shutdown process hangs indefinitely. The hard drive LED keep
glowing. Now the only way to switch it off is to press the "POWER" button
and risk loosing the data.

I Never had the time to debug the issue. So, I left it in one of my "to-do"
lists. For now, I am not using the hibernate feature. May be when Lenny is
released, I will give it a try.

As usual, YMMV

raju
--