Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Adam Hardy

Default [SOLVED] samba server on debian unusable by Mac client

Adam Hardy on 14/11/07 10:17, wrote:

I'm trying to copy files from a Mac running OS X to a Samba share that I
have set up on an Etch machine, using samba 3.0.24.

The Mac complains that the file name is invalid (for any file even
test.txt) and then refuses to copy, and the operation leaves a zero-byte
file with the same name on the samba share.

It lets me log in nicely through the Mac File Finder.

I've spent hours searching the net without any luck at all, and the only
reply I could get from the samba mailing list was that I should try
running the server with Ubuntu.

The samba share works fine from my other linux machine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Alternatively, is there another way of accessing a harddrive on my
server from a Mac?

Found the answer in case anyone is searching this. The mac copies invisible
.filename files and my smb.conf file had a veto rule blocking them by default. I
removed it and they work fine.