Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Bruno Boettcher

Default recommended webcam?

hello

i want to play around with ip-telephony and thus need a webcam, i have
an old thing that does 340x280 which is enough to see thatthere is
indeed somebody but the quality is simply awful, so what webcam are
there that are easy to get working under debian with more appropriate
resolution and framerate?

when i searched with google for something usable, i was drowned in a sea
of mostly negative responses....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org

Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
steve

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Preston Boyington

steve wrote:
> Bruno Boettcher wrote:
<snipped>
>> i want to play around with ip-telephony and thus need a webcam...
>> so what webcam are there that are easy to get working under debian?
>
> http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
>
> drivers for logitech, well known, well supported, and widely available
> hardware.

also take a look at:
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

and even:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

i have found both sites helpful.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Preston Boyington

Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> so what webcam are
> there that are easy to get working under debian with more appropriate
> resolution and framerate?

as a quick update i have just got a Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks
working with ekiga and luvcview. the beta of Skype is giving me some
video errors, but the built in microphone is working great. i am hoping
to get it fully working with Skype as i have time this weekend.

i also have a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision, but in quick tests it was
detected and only the microphone was usable. again that will be a
project for a different day as i really want this camera to work.

oh, am running Debian laptop with 2.6.22 kernel and V4L2 drivers thus far.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Chris Lale

Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> hello
>
> i want to play around with ip-telephony and thus need a webcam, i have
> an old thing that does 340x280 which is enough to see thatthere is
> indeed somebody but the quality is simply awful, so what webcam are
> there that are easy to get working under debian with more appropriate
> resolution and framerate?
>
> when i searched with google for something usable, i was drowned in a sea
> of mostly negative responses....

Not quite what you asked, but there are drivers for over 230 webcams at Michel
Xhaard's site [1]. Look for green in the "Support" column on "list of recognised
cams" page [2].

[1] http://mxhaard.free.fr/
[2] http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

--
Chris.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

* Bruno Boettcher <bboett@bboett.dyndns.org> [071122 00:42]:
> hello
>
> i want to play around with ip-telephony and thus need a webcam, i have
> an old thing that does 340x280 which is enough to see thatthere is
> indeed somebody but the quality is simply awful, so what webcam are
> there that are easy to get working under debian with more appropriate
> resolution and framerate?
>
> when i searched with google for something usable, i was drowned in a sea
> of mostly negative responses....

The Philips SPC900NC/27 has glass lenses (not plastic), works at low
levels of illuminiation, and works with the popular PWC driver. About
US $80.