Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Alan Chandler

Default Wondering why you have IMAP problems - file ownership requirements changed

I would just like to report that I upgraded by server from Etch to Lenny
last weekend. I then was in a position where my IMAP server failed to
deliver the data. I first saw the problem in squirrelmail, which gave
the helpful answer that it could not connect, but I couldn't find any
diagnostics,

There was nothing in any logs - syslog reports the imap connection, but
no further activity.

Eventually I tryed to connect with mutt and got an error saying there
was a permission problem on the imap folders.

Turns out that the policy has changed with respect to maildirs. They
used to have user owner, mail group permissions. This has changed with
the upgrade (but it didn't upgrade my maildirs during the upgrade) to
users owner and group being required. Courier IMAP (which is what I
was using) checks this and rejects logins where the ownership is wrong.

I changed all the Maildir files to user owner and group and it all
started working.

The reason I raise it here is that there is no warning about this that I
could find anywhere despite extensive google searching.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

How did you create the Maildirs to begin with?

I ask that because and when I created mine 3+ years ago using
maildirmake(1), permissions were ${USER}:${USER}. (I run sid, but
etch was still in testing back then, so whatever veresion of
courier-base I was using back then eventually migrated into etch.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Alan Chandler

On Tuesday 16 Dec 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

> How did you create the Maildirs to begin with?
>
> I ask that because and when I created mine 3+ years ago using
> maildirmake(1), permissions were ${USER}:${USER}. (I run sid, but
> etch was still in testing back then, so whatever veresion of
> courier-base I was using back then eventually migrated into etch.)

I don't know - they have been that way for at least 6 years and probably
longer