Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Alan Chandler

Default Strange behaviour of aptitude

I just upgraded my server from etch to lenny.

Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another machine),
after it has gone off to perform some action - such as installing
upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays the screen, but
is not accepting any keyboard commands.

I can recover with a "reset terminal" command (running gnome terminal),
which kills aptitude and then spews out all the key presses that
aptitude hadn't taken.

I can then immediately restart aptitude with no side effects (it doesn't
complain that the lock is held for instance - which it would do if it
had just been killed off)

Anyone else seeing this?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
>Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another machine),
>after it has gone off to perform some action - such as installing
>upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays the screen, but
>is not accepting any keyboard commands.

I'm certainly seeing something similar.

>I can recover with a "reset terminal" command (running gnome terminal),
>which kills aptitude and then spews out all the key presses that
>aptitude hadn't taken.

I just hit Ctrl-C which works for me.

>I can then immediately restart aptitude with no side effects (it doesn't
>complain that the lock is held for instance - which it would do if it
>had just been killed off)

Does it work at that point? Mine stays frozen.

>Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I am. It's a bit tough to reproduce though. It's definitely related to
gpm here. It also affects htop, but not top and vim. Attaching strace to
the process shows it stuck and a read or write call some gpm socket.
Restarting the gpm daemon allows the processes to continue.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net * * * ** * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:18:17AM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
> >Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another machine),
> >after it has gone off to perform some action - such as installing
> >upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays the screen, but
> >is not accepting any keyboard commands.

I've had sporadic reports of this, but I've never been able to track
it down. It happened once for me for about a week, then stopped and
hasn't happened since. I assumed it was a race condition that was
triggered by something not in my environment, but I haven't been able
to figure out the common thread. (I thought it might have to do with
dual-core processors, but now I have one and I don't see this)

> >Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Yes, I am. It's a bit tough to reproduce though. It's definitely related to
> gpm here. It also affects htop, but not top and vim. Attaching strace to
> the process shows it stuck and a read or write call some gpm socket.
> Restarting the gpm daemon allows the processes to continue.

I hoped for a moment that this was the explanation, but installing gpm
doesn't trigger the bug for me.

Daniel

Old 12-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Alan Chandler

On Tuesday 16 Dec 2008, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:18:17AM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> > On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
> > >Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another
> > > machine), after it has gone off to perform some action - such as
> > > installing upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays
> > > the screen, but is not accepting any keyboard commands.
>
> I've had sporadic reports of this, but I've never been able to
> track it down. It happened once for me for about a week, then
> stopped and hasn't happened since. I assumed it was a race condition
> that was triggered by something not in my environment, but I haven't
> been able to figure out the common thread. (I thought it might have
> to do with dual-core processors, but now I have one and I don't see
> this)
>
> > >Anyone else seeing this?
> >
> > Yes, I am. It's a bit tough to reproduce though. It's definitely
> > related to gpm here. It also affects htop, but not top and vim.
> > Attaching strace to the process shows it stuck and a read or write
> > call some gpm socket. Restarting the gpm daemon allows the
> > processes to continue.
>
> I hoped for a moment that this was the explanation, but installing
> gpm doesn't trigger the bug for me.
>
> Daniel

I don't have gpm installed - I have a core duo on the client end, but
the server is a Celeron single processor machine.

(Client end is running unstable and aptitude works fine here)

Time to file a bug report I guess