Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Антон

Default phone simens ME45 and obexftp via USB

Good time.
I try to put some files on my phone by obexftp via USB , but it can put only some bytes
and then "connection failed". But it can listen files and read it.

Also , after each time of connection to phone i need to replug it , because
obexftp failed to connect again.
My system is on notebook , i've tried any versions of obexftp - stable , unstable & 0.22 from source ,
and udev - also stable and unstable.

In Windows with "siemens data sute" i can put any files and without replugging phone.

Any help will be very welcome

--
Regards , Anton .

Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Антон wrote:

> Good time.
> I try to put some files on my phone by obexftp via USB , but it can put
> only some bytes and then "connection failed". But it can listen files and
> read it.
>
> Also , after each time of connection to phone i need to replug it ,
> because obexftp failed to connect again.
> My system is on notebook , i've tried any versions of obexftp - stable ,
> unstable & 0.22 from source , and udev - also stable and unstable.
>
> In Windows with "siemens data sute" i can put any files and without
> replugging phone.
>

> Any help will be very welcome
>
> --
> Regards , Anton .

Hello Anton,

I'm also very interested in syncing telephones and I spent a lot of time
playing with IRDA, BT and USB recently. I finally manged it to sync my
sony-ericson and my nokia but the results are miserable as sony-ericson and
nokia have different memory slots, so I ended up with double and triple
contacts.
It's actually a sync hell I should admit and advise you 1. backup your
phones on a windows machine as I did before experimenting and 2. join the
opensync-users@lists.sourceforge.net or some of the *-pim lists. There you
can find more detailed information on how to get the phone syncing. by the
way you should also mention vendor/model of the phone and versions of tools
you use. Did I mention backup?!

I have also tried using USB cable with VMPLayer and windows (this is the way
I backup my phone), because it is working out of the box, but with IRDA and
BT I didn't have the time and patience to play.

The current state of the phone-linux sync is as far as I know only one way.
I would be glad if I'm wrong with this. In fact if using one phone or
device only it works fine i.e. I was using palm before and after this one
siemens phone. Everything was really perfect. But now with more then one
device it's a mess :-(.

Also it would be nice if we could convince the manufacturers to
provide "siemens data sute" or respectively nokia and so on for linux or at
least common interface, which they recently try to do, but only with few
product lines. Linux developer _do not_ have enough information to do the
work. At least, what I was told. Write to Siemens, Nokia & Co.

I can not help that much with USB though I'm using now IRDA as it's built in
the notebook. With USB I see my phone as a usb harddrive, so I just copy
the files. I'm not sure if it's obex. I think not.

Are you using command line or some kind of GUI?

regards

Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Антон

Sorry , it seems , mailserver droped first answer , and - buy the way - i had to reinstall my system , so i write again.
And it drops mails from Opera-mail , so i write from web.

<<<<<<<<<
It's actually a sync hell I should admit and advise you 1. backup your
phones on a windows machine as I did before experimenting and 2. join the
opensync-users@lists.sourceforge.net or some of the *-pim lists. There you
can find more detailed information on how to get the phone syncing. by the
way you should also mention vendor/model of the phone and versions of tools
you use. Did I mention backup?!
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks , i will try it. Maybe also forum on obexftp.sourceforge.net ?

<<<<<<<<<<<<
I have also tried using USB cable with VMPLayer and windows (this is the way
I backup my phone), because it is working out of the box, but with IRDA and
BT I didn't have the time and patience to play.
<<<<<<<<<

I have used Virtualbox , but it couldn't connect to phone. I will try Vmware.

<<<<<<<
Also it would be nice if we could convince the manufacturers to
provide "siemens data sute" or respectively nokia and so on for linux or at
least common interface, which they recently try to do, but only with few
product lines. Linux developer _do not_ have enough information to do the
work. At least, what I was told. Write to Siemens, Nokia & Co.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Since the piece of the linux desktops is very small against the one of the windows ,
we have also small chances to do something with the manufacturers

<<<<<<<<
I can not help that much with USB though I'm using now IRDA as it's built in
the notebook. With USB I see my phone as a usb harddrive, so I just copy
the files. I'm not sure if it's obex. I think not.
<<<<<<<<<<
irda-utils can't find the coresponding chip on my notebook
What about phone as usb harddrive - it's obexfs , but it works with smartphones , as i suppose.
It failes to mount my phone

<<<<<<<<<<
Are you using command line or some kind of GUI?
<<<<<<<<<<

root@lin:/mnt/winXP/Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/2# obexftp -v -t /dev/ttyUSB0 -c Data/Java/jam/Applications -p Prozorov
Connecting...done
Sending "Data"... Sending "Java"... Sending "jam"... Sending "Applications"... done
Sending "Prozorov"...failed: Prozorov
Disconnecting...failed: disconnect
root@lin:/mnt/winXP/Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/2# obexftp -v -t /dev/ttyUSB0 -c Data/Java/jam/Applications -p Prozorov
Connecting...failed: connect
Still trying to connect
Connecting...failed: connect
Still trying to connect
Connecting...failed: connect
Still trying to connect

Old 01-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Антон

siefs solved my problem(there was not it in Debian). It needs an old fuse , so i install fuse 2_4 to
/usr/local ,

and configure siefs to use it : ./configure --with-fuse=/usr/local.

Now i can mount my phone as usb-harddrive:

# mount -t siefs -o iocharset=koi8-r /dev/ttyUSB0 /media/usb0

It also supports iocharset for russian filenames in phone.

I'm really surprised - the old soft from Ukrain better than new from Deutchland.

by the way - kernel is stable:
root@lin:/media# uname -a
Linux lin 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 24 16:41:07 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

usblink is pl2303

--
Regards , Anton