Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default OT Internet Radio Reception Program

I ordered an Aluratek AIRJ01F as a Christmas present for a grandson who
sticks with Windows XP. My understanding is that this device when
plugged in to a usb port automaticly loads a program which provides
access to 13,000 internet radio stations with scan options to find
various types of music.

Curious, I have tried google and apt-cache searches for something
similar for linux without locating any matches. Of course mplayer
and similar packages allow me to connect to streams from stations I know
so the difference is only the problem of identifying 13,000 posible
streams and some information about their characteristics. Someone must
have done a lot of work?

Perhaps the gadget would work with wine? If not maybe my grandson will
tell me if he finds a particularly interesting station.

Tom

Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Dave Thayer

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I ordered an Aluratek AIRJ01F as a Christmas present for a grandson who
> sticks with Windows XP. My understanding is that this device when
> plugged in to a usb port automaticly loads a program which provides
> access to 13,000 internet radio stations with scan options to find
> various types of music.
>
> Curious, I have tried google and apt-cache searches for something
> similar for linux without locating any matches. Of course mplayer
> and similar packages allow me to connect to streams from stations I know
> so the difference is only the problem of identifying 13,000 posible
> streams and some information about their characteristics. Someone must
> have done a lot of work?

You probably want something that uses a service such as shoutcast or
live365. Streamtuner supports several such services, and
"apt-cache search shoutcast" gives several other candidates.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to

Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:05:14PM -0700, Dave Thayer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I ordered an Aluratek AIRJ01F as a Christmas present for a grandson who
> > sticks with Windows XP. My understanding is that this device when
> > plugged in to a usb port automaticly loads a program which provides
> > access to 13,000 internet radio stations with scan options to find
> > various types of music.
> >
> > Curious, I have tried google and apt-cache searches for something
> > similar for linux without locating any matches. Of course mplayer
> > and similar packages allow me to connect to streams from stations I know
> > so the difference is only the problem of identifying 13,000 posible
> > streams and some information about their characteristics. Someone must
> > have done a lot of work?
> >

> You probably want something that uses a service such as shoutcast or
> live365. Streamtuner supports several such services, and
> "apt-cache search shoutcast" gives several other candidates.
>
> HTH

Yes, Streamtuner is quite impressive and gathers in several of the other
services listed by shoutcast. Thanks for this lead.

Tom