Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Diab Jerius

Default Unexpected loss of font (LucidaTypewriter) in Gnome under Lenny

For some time I've been using LucidaTypewriter in gnome-terminal. I
recently replaced my video card and something that I did (dpkg-
reconfigure on xserver-xorg or something else) caused GNOME apps to no
longer see the Lucida Typewriter font. For example, gnome-terminal no
longer lists the font as being available, and it renders text using
another font although its setting is for LucidaTypewriter.

I know that the font exists, as it is listed by xlsfonts and my xterm
setup uses it. Strangely enough, if I run gnome-terminal remotely on a
host running etch, it uses the correct font and shows that it is
available. In my understanding of things, the server provides the font,
so this mystifies me.

I have verified that the problem exists using the default gnome setup (I
created a user with no previous gnome usage and saw the same problem).

Does anyone have an idea of what might have gone awry?

Thanks,

Diab

Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:42:57PM EST, Diab Jerius wrote:
> For some time I've been using LucidaTypewriter in gnome-terminal. I
> recently replaced my video card and something that I did (dpkg-
> reconfigure on xserver-xorg or something else) caused GNOME apps to no
> longer see the Lucida Typewriter font. For example, gnome-terminal no
> longer lists the font as being available, and it renders text using
> another font although its setting is for LucidaTypewriter.

Maybe a fontconfig issue?

What does "fc-cache | grep Lucida" return?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Chris Jones

Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Diab Jerius

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:00:11 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:42:57PM EST, Diab Jerius wrote:
>> For some time I've been using LucidaTypewriter in gnome-terminal. I
>> recently replaced my video card and something that I did (dpkg-
>> reconfigure on xserver-xorg or something else) caused GNOME apps to no
>> longer see the Lucida Typewriter font. For example, gnome-terminal no
>> longer lists the font as being available, and it renders text using
>> another font although its setting is for LucidaTypewriter.
>
> Maybe a fontconfig issue?
>
> What does "fc-cache | grep Lucida" return?

It does seem to have been a fontconfig issue. Thanks for the tip on
listing of fonts. I dpkg-reconfigured it (prior to receiving your
message) and the font reappeared. I'm guessing (from my reading of the
man page) that running fc-cache -f should have been equivalent.

Thanks,
Diab