-   -   Difference between Lenny/testing? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/212375-difference-between-lenny-testing.html)

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 12-15-2008 06:34 PM

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> I am currently running Lenny on two laptops. I thought i had seen something on this list about how, with Lenny close to release, the "lenny" repositories are different from "testing", and if we want to keep up to date we should switch to "testing" in sources.list. But the docs say that lenny is just a symlink to "testing".
>
> Im not trying to be ultra-bleeding-edge, but im willing to trade some stability for newer packages. I thought thats what i was doing with "lenny". Should i switch to "testing" in sources.list, or am i confused?

Lenny is indeed testing. At least for now, once it's release, it will
become 'stable', and testing will point to the future release.

If you see a difference between 'testing' and 'lenny', there is probably
something wrong with your setup and/or your mirrors. You should start by
showing us your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and the packages for which
you see a difference.

--
God save us from a bad neighbor and a beginner on the fiddle.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Steve Lamb 12-15-2008 06:45 PM

Difference between Lenny/testing?

The difference is Testing Bruce never took to the stage like his brother.

Ron Johnson 12-15-2008 07:00 PM

On 12/15/08 13:24, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

I am currently running Lenny on two laptops. I thought i had seen
something on this list about how, with Lenny close to release, the

> "lenny" repositories are different from "testing", and if we want

A big pile of packages is piling up in *Experimental*, because of
the Lenny Freeze. DDs don't want _new_ stuff accidentally migrating
into Lenny, when what they want is for bug-fixes to existing
versions to migrate from Sid to Lenny.

> to keep up to date we should switch to "testing" in sources.list.
> But the docs say that lenny is just a symlink to "testing".

You've got it backwards. Check out this ftp directory:
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists

Note in the attachement that stable, testing and unstable are
symlinks to etch, lenny and sid.

When lenny goes stable, the stable symlink will be pointed to lenny,
and the lenny directory tree will be duped into a new directory
named squeeze, and the testing symlink will be pointed to squeeze.

Im not trying to be ultra-bleeding-edge, but im willing to trade some stability for newer packages. I thought thats what i was doing with "lenny". Should i switch to "testing" in sources.list, or am i confused?

Go to Sid. You'll still excellent stability (unless you have very
new hardware), but still have pretty-current software. Except for
times like this, very close to Lenny release.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?
ncftp /debian/dists > dir
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 4 Feb 16 2008 Debian4.0r5 -> etch
-rw-r--r-- 1 400 400 400 Oct 27 20:27 README
drwxr-sr-x 5 400 400 4096 Oct 23 16:44 etch
drwxr-sr-x 5 400 400 78 Dec 15 08:46 etch-m68k
drwxr-sr-x 5 400 400 24576 Dec 15 08:45 etch-proposed-updates
drwxr-sr-x 5 400 400 78 Dec 15 08:48 experimental
drwxr-sr-x 17 400 400 4096 Dec 15 08:46 lenny
drwxr-sr-x 5 400 400 78 Dec 15 08:46 lenny-proposed-updates
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 21 Nov 10 2007 proposed-updates -> etch-proposed-updates
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 12 Aug 4 20:46 rc-buggy -> experimental
drwxr-sr-x 18 400 400 4096 Dec 15 08:48 sid
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 4 Nov 10 2007 stable -> etch
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 21 Nov 10 2007 stable-proposed-updates -> etch-proposed-updates
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 5 Nov 10 2007 testing -> lenny
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 22 Nov 10 2007 testing-proposed-updates -> lenny-proposed-updates
lrwxrwxrwx 1 400 400 3 Nov 10 2007 unstable -> sid

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 12-15-2008 07:20 PM

On Monday 2008 December 15 13:24:43 Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
>I am currently running Lenny on two laptops. I thought i had seen something
> on this list about how, with Lenny close to release, the "lenny"
> repositories are different from "testing", and if we want to keep up to
> date we should switch to "testing" in sources.list. But the docs say that
> lenny is just a symlink to "testing".

Until release, they will be the same. As part of release, "Squeeze" will be
created as a copy of "Sid", the "stable" symlink will be change to point
to "Lenny" and the "testing" symlink will be changed to point to "Squeeze".

>Im not trying to be ultra-bleeding-edge, but im willing to trade some
> stability for newer packages. I thought thats what i was doing with
> "lenny". Should i switch to "testing" in sources.list, or am i confused?

You probably should switch Squeeze, about a month or two after the release of
Lenny. Unstable and testing can go through quite a bit of churn just after
release, so It might have too many bugs during that time for you. Or, you
can just stick with testing the whole way -- it's protections are not relaxed
during the post-release period, although they are stepped up during the
pre-release freeze (now).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

John Hasler 12-15-2008 07:51 PM

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. writes:
> As part of release, "Squeeze" will be created as a copy of "Sid"...

It will be created as a copy of Lenny. Immediately after the release
Stable (Lenny) and Testing (Squeeze) will be identical. The freeze will be
lifted and Testing will drift away from Stable as packages move into it
from Unstable.

--
John Hasler

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 12-15-2008 08:28 PM

On Monday 2008 December 15 14:51:09 John Hasler wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. writes:
>> As part of release, "Squeeze" will be created as a copy of "Sid"...
>
>It will be created as a copy of Lenny. Immediately after the release
>Stable (Lenny) and Testing (Squeeze) will be identical. The freeze will be
>lifted and Testing will drift away from Stable as packages move into it
>from Unstable.

Yeah, after seeing the other replies on the thread, I recognize that I was
incorrect.

That said, the time they are identical will only be a few days at most. There
are currently packages that are only being kept out of testing due to the
freeze. It won't be the best time to be running "testing", but the standard
protections for testing will still be in effect.

Sven Joachim 12-15-2008 09:17 PM

On 2008-12-15 22:28 +0100, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Monday 2008 December 15 14:51:09 John Hasler wrote:
>>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. writes:
>>> As part of release, "Squeeze" will be created as a copy of "Sid"...
>>
>>It will be created as a copy of Lenny. Immediately after the release
>>Stable (Lenny) and Testing (Squeeze) will be identical. The freeze will be
>>lifted and Testing will drift away from Stable as packages move into it
>>from Unstable.
>
> Yeah, after seeing the other replies on the thread, I recognize that I was
> incorrect.
>
> That said, the time they are identical will only be a few days at
> most.

Only a few hours, actually. The next britney run after the release will
flood testing with hundreds, if not thousands of new and updated packages
that had been kept back during the freeze.

Sven

"H.S." 12-15-2008 09:30 PM

Sven Joachim wrote:

> Only a few hours, actually. The next britney run after the release will
> flood testing with hundreds, if not thousands of new and updated packages
> that had been kept back during the freeze.
>
> Sven

To avoid the chaos that would ensue (for how long? some days, weeks?),
would it be wise to replace 'testing' with 'lenny' in sources.list file,
at least till the noise after the release has settled down in Testing?

ever having been read.

John Hasler 12-15-2008 09:43 PM

Difference between Lenny/testing?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. writes:
> That said, the time they are identical will only be a few days at most.
> There are currently packages that are only being kept out of testing due
> to the freeze.

But they have all already met the migration criteria.
--
John Hasler

David Jardine 12-15-2008 11:07 PM

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 05:30:09PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> > Only a few hours, actually. The next britney run after the release will
> > flood testing with hundreds, if not thousands of new and updated packages
> > that had been kept back during the freeze.
> >
> > Sven
> >

> To avoid the chaos that would ensue (for how long? some days, weeks?),
> would it be wise to replace 'testing' with 'lenny' in sources.list file,
> at least till the noise after the release has settled down in Testing?

You could stick with 'testing' and delay upgrading for a while,
although you'd miss any security fixes in lenny for that period.
You also need to consider whether you prefer daily medium-sized
upgrades or one massive one, where a problem might be more
difficult to isolate.