Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Mauricio

Default How to set user locale, instead of global locale?

Hi,

Do you know how can I change my locale as
user of a remote system (with only terminal
access)? The locale I want is already available
on the system, and I tried to change mine
setting LC_ALL to the proper value in my shell
initialization, but it gets reset somehow.

Thanks for your help,
Maurício

Old 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Martin Kraus

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50:49AM -0200, Mauricio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know how can I change my locale as
> user of a remote system (with only terminal
> access)? The locale I want is already available
> on the system, and I tried to change mine
> setting LC_ALL to the proper value in my shell
> initialization, but it gets reset somehow.

hi. what shell? your local shell or the remote shell?

mk

Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 2008 December 15 07:50:49 Mauricio wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Do you know how can I change my locale as
>user of a remote system (with only terminal
>access)? The locale I want is already available
>on the system, and I tried to change mine
>setting LC_ALL to the proper value in my shell
>initialization, but it gets reset somehow.

You'll need to do more investigation into that "somehow". The proper way to
set your locale is during your session/shell initialization. If your remote
administrator is intentionally breaking that, your best fix is an attempt as
educating said administrator.

That said, I'm not sure how an administrator could break that. Please provide
more details on what you did to set your locale. Copy and paste from the
relevant files is good.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50:49AM -0200, Mauricio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know how can I change my locale as
> user of a remote system (with only terminal
> access)? The locale I want is already available
> on the system, and I tried to change mine
> setting LC_ALL to the proper value in my shell
> initialization, but it gets reset somehow.

Set it in ~/.bashrc

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch02.en.html#commandexecutionironmentvariable

$ man bash

Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Pedro Insua

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50:49AM -0200, Mauricio wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> Do you know how can I change my locale as
> user of a remote system (with only terminal
> access)? The locale I want is already available
> on the system, and I tried to change mine
> setting LC_ALL to the proper value in my shell
> initialization, but it gets reset somehow.

You can read the Debian Reference:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-env-locale

In 9.7.8 say:

,----

`----

> Thanks for your help,
> MaurÃ*cio

Deica.

--
Porqu�oitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"
/ CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
X ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/

Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Mauricio

Do you know how can I change my locale as
user of a remote system (with only terminal
access)? (...)

You can read the Debian Reference:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-env-locale

> (...)

It ended up that the system was misconfigured to my
shell (zsh), my initialization wasn't even beeing called.
After the admin solved that, setting LC_ALL worked well.

Sorry for your time...

Maurício

Deica.

> Porquê loitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

Por curiosidade, você pode me mandar um e-mail pessoal
explicando o que são "deica" e "loitar"? Aqui no Brasil
nunca ouvi.
Abs.