Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 AM
"wauhugo@yahoo.com"

Default Audio: How to Cut out Seconds of Silence

I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of
useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds
of absolute silence.
I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these
silent seconds.

I am running SID on AMD64 and have not much experience with audio-files.

I hope that there is a possibility to perform these cuts in an automated
way.

(Seeking for absolute silence, which lasts for more than one second
and cutting it out.)

Which would be the way to do that?

Hugo Wau

Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 AM
ghe

Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 19:26:34 -0700, wauhugo@yahoo.com (wauhugo@yahoo.com) wrote:

> I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of
> useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds
> of absolute silence.
> I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these
> silent seconds.
>
> I am running SID on AMD64 and have not much experience with audio-files.
>
> I hope that there is a possibility to perform these cuts in an automated
> way.
> (Seeking for absolute silence, which lasts for more than one second
> and cutting it out.)
>
> Which would be the way to do that?

I have never tried to do this, but according to the Audacity man page:

"Audacity is primarily an interactive, graphical editor, not a
batch-processing tool. Whilst there is a basic batch processing tool
it is experimental and incomplete. If you need to batch-process audio or
do simple edits from the command line, using sox or ecasound driven
by a bash script will be much more powerful than audacity."

It seems that sox will do what you want, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoX

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Pedro Insua

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 07:26:34PM -0700, wauhugo@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of
> useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds
> of absolute silence.
> I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these
> silent seconds.
>
> I am running SID on AMD64 and have not much experience with audio-files.
>
> I hope that there is a possibility to perform these cuts in an automated
> way.
> (Seeking for absolute silence, which lasts for more than one second
> and cutting it out.)
>
> Which would be the way to do that?
>
> Hugo Wau

You can use `cutmp3' to cut the mp3 audio files, it's in Marillat
repositories (www.debian-multimedia.org), The `apt-cache show cutmp3'
say... :

small and fast command line MP3 editor. It lets you select
sections of an MP3 interactively or via a timetable and save them
to separate files without quality loss. It uses mpg123 for playback
and works with VBR files and even with files bigger than
2GB. Other features are configurable silence seeking and ID3 tag
seeking, which are useful for concatenated mp3s.
.
http://www.puchalla-online.de/cutmp3.html

--
Porqu�oitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"
/ CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
X ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 19:26:34 -0700, wauhugo@yahoo.com (wauhugo@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
>> I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of
>> useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds
>> of absolute silence.
>> I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these
>> silent seconds.

There's a tool built into Audacity which will do that automatically.
See the effects menu, named something like 'Gap removal'

I note that it's a recent feature - I have it on my Lenny machine at
home, but not here at work where I'm running an older version of
Audacity.

Brian