Old 12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Patrick Schueller

Default AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Debian (used Ubuntu before) and have the
following problem:
Debian Lenny freezes during boot on ASUS X56TR laptop with AMD Turion
ZM82 processor. I am currently running the AMD64 installation.

The freeze occurs only when both cores are activated. With kernel
parameter "maxcpus=1" (also with "nosmp" or "acpi=off") it boots normally.

I have tested this on the following distributions:
Debian Lenny AMD64 (which I am using now)
Debian Lenny 32bit (-686 kernel; with -486 kernel, the problem is gone,
but this only supports 1 kernel as I can see)

Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) 32 bit
Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) 32 bit and 64 bit
Sidux Ourea Live CD

The problem remains the same everywhere. Just for completeness, the
Vista installation which came preinstalled with this machine uses both
cores without freezing (but is about three times slower with 2 cores
than Debian with 1 ;-))

Kernel:
Linux debian-ps 2.6.26-1-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 26 18:26:02 UTC 2008
x86_64 GNU/Linux

RAM:
4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR2-800

Graphics:
ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

Last screen messages before freeze:
CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
CPU: Processor Core ID: 1
CPU1: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 stepping 01
checking TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]:
Measured <large number> cycles TSC warp between CPUs, turning off TSC
Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed
Brought up 2 CPUs
Total of 2 processors activated

Can anyone help?

Patrick

Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
"Adrian Levi"

2008/12/15 Patrick Schueller <pschuel@web.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am relatively new to Debian (used Ubuntu before) and have the following
> problem:

> I have tested this on the following distributions:
> Debian Lenny AMD64 (which I am using now)
> Debian Lenny 32bit (-686 kernel; with -486 kernel, the problem is gone, but
> this only supports 1 kernel as I can see)
> Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) 32 bit
> Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) 32 bit and 64 bit
> Sidux Ourea Live CD

I don't know about kernel optimisations in the other distributions but
have you tried running the latest stable vanilla kernel from
kernel.org? This looks to me like a good reason to get dirty and
compile a kernel.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Patrick Schueller

"Adrian Levi" <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/12/15 Patrick Schueller <pschuel@web.de>:

> I have tested this on the following distributions:
> Debian Lenny AMD64 (which I am using now)
> Debian Lenny 32bit (-686 kernel; with -486 kernel, the problem is gone, but
> this only supports 1 kernel as I can see)
> Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) 32 bit
> Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) 32 bit and 64 bit
> Sidux Ourea Live CD

I don't know about kernel optimisations in the other distributions but
have you tried running the latest stable vanilla kernel from
kernel.org? This looks to me like a good reason to get dirty and
compile a kernel.

Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see your reply for some reason :-(

I compiled and installed the stable vanilla 2.6.28 kernel from
kernel.org, as you suggested. Since I am not very accustomed with the
kernel's compiling options, I used the old kernel's .config file.

The problem stays the same with the new kernel. Normal boot --> freeze,
boot with maxcpus=1 --> works, uname-a shows new kernel. Seems to be a
general problem with this CPU. Or does anyone happen to have another
idea for a solution?

Patrick

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
"Adrian Levi"

2009/1/11 Patrick Schueller <pschuel@web.de>:

> Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see your reply for some reason :-(
>
> I compiled and installed the stable vanilla 2.6.28 kernel from kernel.org,
> as you suggested. Since I am not very accustomed with the kernel's compiling
> options, I used the old kernel's .config file.
>
> The problem stays the same with the new kernel. Normal boot --> freeze, boot
> with maxcpus=1 --> works, uname-a shows new kernel. Seems to be a general
> problem with this CPU. Or does anyone happen to have another idea for a
> solution?
>
> Patrick

I'm out of ideas, My next suggestion is to contact LKML and see if
they have any ideas.

Adrian

Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 AM
"Adrian Levi"

2009/1/11 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:

> I would try to explore the idea that the CPU or motherboard is defective. Perhaps the second core is bad.
>
> I had a problem with memory sticks that was similar. One stick worked and not two. I first found that
> there was a bad memory stick ( 1 out of 2). then after replacing it, it happened again and it needed a
> bios upgrade of the motherboard to work. I used memtest96+ to diagnose my problems.
>
> Perhaps you can find a testing software for the dual core cpu from your cpu or motherboard vendor....
>
> Mitchell

UBCD has numerous cpu testing programs on it, perhaps one of those?

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Adrian