Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Bernard

Default shortcuts sought for mutt

Hi to Everyone,

On my old laptop which ran on RedHat 7.2, I had installed "mutt". It has
been about 2 years since I have not used this. I remember that I had
spent quite a bit of time getting mutt to work, fiddling around with the
.muttrc conf file. Now, I would like to use "mutt" on my desktop under
Debian Sarge. I found that Mutt is part of the package that I installed
2 years ago, still it does not work 'out of the box'. It does retrieve
mail though, using the command :

mutt -f pop://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr

but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying
"mailing to remote domains not supported".

So, I checked the old .muttrc file that I had on my old laptop, to find
the line below :

"
set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/esmtp -X /tmp/esmtp.log"
"

Problem is that I can't think of inserting such line into the .muttrc
file on my desktop on Debian Sarge, since esmtp does not exist in here.
A few trials using

set sendmail="/sbin/smtp"

gave same result as above

Thanks in advance for a few hints that would get me going with mutt
without having having to spend a lot of time

Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Jochen Schulz

Bernard:

> but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying
> "mailing to remote domains not supported".

You probably need to configure your MTA (Exim by default, you may have
esmtp).

J.
--
My medicine shelf is my altar.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
>
> On my old laptop which ran on RedHat 7.2, I had installed "mutt". It has
> been about 2 years since I have not used this. I remember that I had
> spent quite a bit of time getting mutt to work, fiddling around with the
> .muttrc conf file. Now, I would like to use "mutt" on my desktop under
> Debian Sarge. I found that Mutt is part of the package that I installed
> 2 years ago, still it does not work 'out of the box'. It does retrieve
> mail though, using the command :
>
> mutt -f pop://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr
>
> but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying
> "mailing to remote domains not supported".
>
> So, I checked the old .muttrc file that I had on my old laptop, to find
> the line below :
>
> "
> set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/esmtp -X /tmp/esmtp.log"
> "

esmtp is available as a package in Debian. Similar to it are nullmailer
ssmtp and maybe others. Like any package that claims to be an MTA,
it provides the standard /usr/sbin/sendmail command, and hence this is
one thing you need not configure.

Maybe a local spooling mailer such as exim or postfix would be better.

> Problem is that I can't think of inserting such line into the .muttrc
> file on my desktop on Debian Sarge, since esmtp does not exist in here.

Actually esmtp was introduced in Sarge:

http://archive.debian.net/esmtp

But then again, if you're using Sage, this is now a good time to upgrade
(to Etch or maybe even Lenny).

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Bernard

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

[...]

I am willing to install esmtp on my Sarge system. However, I am worried
about the fact that I already have exim4 installed, and, even though I
don't know how to configure 'mutt' to work with exim, I fear that
installing 'esmtp' might interfer with the software that I have so far
been using on that system for mail : mozilla-thunderbird. I want both
Thunderbird and Mutt to work on my system, as I had, in the older RedHat
7.2 system, both Mutt and the StarOffice 5.2 mail systems working together.

Thanks in advance for your advice concerning exim and esmtp working on
the same system, the latter one with Mutt and the former one with
Thunderbird.

As far as upgrading my Sarge system to Etch or Lenny, I have to think it
over. On my old laptop (thinkpad 600), that used to run under RedHat
7.2, I have installed Etch, and it works allright, even though it runs
much slower that under RH7.2 and the sleep and economy modes and fan are
not managed properly. On my Desktop with Sarge, I already had an
unwanted upgrade about 8-9 months ago : willing to type '#apt-get
update", I had carelessly typed "#apt-get upgrade". It took several
hours until I could do anything. Then, quite a few thing no longer
worked, and I had to upgrade things one by one, each upgrade requiring a
lot of time, since this implied upgrading quite a few dependances for
each program. I would say that it took more than twelve hours
altogether. In the end, lots of things did not work properly. So, a
distant friend advised me to install a new kernel, so, I now have 2.6.20
running on my system. Nevertheless, it still is a "sarge" system. No
doubt that I could reformat everything and install a clean Debian Etch
system as I did on my old laptop, but then I would have to reinstall a
lot of other things including databases et coetera, which takes more
time than I can consider spending right now. So, I will consider
upgrading later on, since everything seems to work fine for the time being.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Eric Gerlach

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
>
> On my old laptop which ran on RedHat 7.2, I had installed "mutt". It has
> been about 2 years since I have not used this. I remember that I had
> spent quite a bit of time getting mutt to work, fiddling around with the
> .muttrc conf file. Now, I would like to use "mutt" on my desktop under
> Debian Sarge. I found that Mutt is part of the package that I installed
> 2 years ago, still it does not work 'out of the box'. It does retrieve
> mail though, using the command :
>
> mutt -f pop://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr
>
> but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying
> "mailing to remote domains not supported".

Another option (which *does* involve upgrading to lenny, sorry) is
that mutt in lenny has built-in ESMTP capabilities. Just set:

set smtp=smtps://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr

et voila!

Cheers,

--

Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,14.Dec.08, 22:08:19, Bernard wrote:

> properly. On my Desktop with Sarge, I already had an unwanted upgrade
> about 8-9 months ago : willing to type '#apt-get update", I had
> carelessly typed "#apt-get upgrade". It took several hours until I
> could do anything. Then, quite a few thing no longer worked, and I had
> to upgrade things one by one, each upgrade requiring a lot of time,
> since this implied upgrading quite a few dependances for each program.
> I would say that it took more than twelve hours altogether. In the
> end, lots of things did not work properly. So, a distant friend
> advised me to install a new kernel, so, I now have 2.6.20 running on
> my system. Nevertheless, it still is a "sarge" system. No doubt that I

Are you sure it's still sarge? How does your sources.list look like (I
bet you have stable in there).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)