Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM
agou

Default Where do aliases come from?

I have installed the latest stable debian (AMD64) not long ago, and I am
baffled, to say the least by a thing - normally, one of the first things
I do after installing Linux is to hunt down all the "helpful" aliases
that are set up in /etc/profile, ~/.profile, /etc/profile.d etc etc (I
use ksh) and define just one (ll='ls -lp'). I did the same this time,
but I still find:

# alias
2d='set -f;_2d'
autoload='typeset -fu'
command='command '
fc=hist
float='typeset -lE'
functions='typeset -f'
hash='alias -t --'
history='hist -l'
integer='typeset -li'
ll='ls -lp'
nameref='typeset -n'
nohup='nohup '
r='hist -s'
redirect='command exec'
source='command .'
stop='kill -s STOP'
suspend='kill -s STOP $$'
times='{ { time;} 2>&1;}'
type='whence -v'

Where are they defined - does anybody know?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Kent West

agou wrote:
> I have installed the latest stable debian (AMD64) not long ago, and I
> am baffled, to say the least by a thing - normally, one of the first
> things I do after installing Linux is to hunt down all the "helpful"
> aliases that are set up in /etc/profile, ~/.profile, /etc/profile.d
> etc etc (I use ksh) and define just one (ll='ls -lp'). I did the same
> this time, but I still find:
>
> # alias
> 2d='set -f;_2d'
> autoload='typeset -fu'
> command='command '
> fc=hist
> float='typeset -lE'
> functions='typeset -f'
> hash='alias -t --'
> history='hist -l'
> integer='typeset -li'
> ll='ls -lp'
> nameref='typeset -n'
> nohup='nohup '
> r='hist -s'
> redirect='command exec'
> source='command .'
> stop='kill -s STOP'
> suspend='kill -s STOP $$'
> times='{ { time;} 2>&1;}'
> type='whence -v'
>
> Where are they defined - does anybody know?

According to "man ksh":

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 12-15-2008, 04:32 AM
agou

Kent West wrote:

According to "man ksh":

The following aliases are compiled into the shell but can be unset or
redefined:

Oh, one of those... Thanks for reading the man page for :-)

But it didn't use to be like that; I suppose I can live with them, since
I never use them anyway. The ones I really can't tolerate are the ones
like rm='rm -i' that you seem to find in most other distributions for
people who can't be bothered to read the man pages ;-)