Old 12-14-2008, 03:58 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default reading USB port on old Thinkpad

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26:37PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> I am trying to use an old Thinkpad 309e. (PII, 128M memory). Etch runs
> fine (if slow) but I am using it as sound production
> (recording/playback) machine.
>
> Only problem is that I can't get the files OFF the laptop to
> mix/edit/burn on my home machine. It has a USB port, but I've tried a
> few things (including some BIOS settings) and I can't get it to read my
> thumb drives (they work on all other machines, including the linux
> ones). It does not have a cd-burner on it and I've tried to use the
> e-net cable to connect to my desktop but really don't know how to make
> that work (I was hoping it would magically read the other computer as a
> remote drive...silly me...).
>
> How do I get it to read my thumbdrive?

You haven't given us any errors to look at re the thumbdrives. If you
run
$dmesg > pre-plug.txt
before you plug in the thumbdrive and then again after,
$dmesg > post-plug.txt

Then diff the two files, you'll see what changed and can mail it to us.
(if you just want to see what changed, look at the end of the dmesg
after you plug in the drive).

If you can't get the thumb drive to work, as for how to get the data
off, try setting up networking. I guess that's what you mean by using
the e-net cable. Its doesn't happen magically by plugging it in. You
have to assign your box an IP address on whatever network you'll be
using.

Once you get a network setup, then you can use rsync, rcp, or even email
to move the files.

If you can't get the ethernet to work, that old laptop probably has a
serial port. Get a null-modem cable and set up a ppp link between the
two computers and you can use that as a network. Alternatively, forget
network, set up a getty on one box and minicom on the other, login and
send the files with zmodem.

You have lots of choices, but you need to pick one and tell us what you
need to know to get it working.

Doug.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> If you can't get the thumb drive to work, as for how to get the data
> off, try setting up networking. I guess that's what you mean by using
> the e-net cable. Its doesn't happen magically by plugging it in. You
> have to assign your box an IP address on whatever network you'll be
> using.

Isn't that avahi stuff supposed to make it work magically? It better
do exactly that and help our friend just have to plug a cross-over
ethernet cable to get his two boxes connected...

Henrique Holschuh

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, ZephyrQ wrote:
> mix/edit/burn on my home machine. It has a USB port, but I've tried a
> few things (including some BIOS settings) and I can't get it to read my
> thumb drives (they work on all other machines, including the linux
> ones). It does not have a cd-burner on it and I've tried to use the

It is old enough that it could be USB 1.0. Not many stuff nowadays
will work with it, but you can buy an CardBus or PCMCIA card with USB
1.1 or USB 2.0 ports cheaply. Does your thinkpad have a working
CardBus/PCMCIA slot?

Henrique Holschuh

Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Daryl Styrk

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 09:31:25AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > If you can't get the thumb drive to work, as for how to get the data
> > off, try setting up networking. I guess that's what you mean by using
> > the e-net cable. Its doesn't happen magically by plugging it in. You
> > have to assign your box an IP address on whatever network you'll be
> > using.
>
> Isn't that avahi stuff supposed to make it work magically? It better
> do exactly that and help our friend just have to plug a cross-over
> ethernet cable to get his two boxes connected...

What the heck is avahi? Let me guess, some sort of DTE magic?

Doug.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 2008 December 14 16:52:54 Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>What the heck is avahi?

Linux implementation of automatic LLv4 addressing (169.*; like Windows) and
some level of support for uPnP/bonjour.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM
ZephyrQ

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

[...]

I did this, and there is no difference in the files. I did both a diff
and visually compared both files and there is no difference.

If you can't get the thumb drive to work, as for how to get the data
off, try setting up networking. I guess that's what you mean by using
the e-net cable. Its doesn't happen magically by plugging it in. You
have to assign your box an IP address on whatever network you'll be
using.

Once you get a network setup, then you can use rsync, rcp, or even email
to move the files.

If you can't get the ethernet to work, that old laptop probably has a
serial port. Get a null-modem cable and set up a ppp link between the
two computers and you can use that as a network. Alternatively, forget
network, set up a getty on one box and minicom on the other, login and
send the files with zmodem.

My ultimate goal is to get the thumbdrive to work--that is goal #1. The
networking thing is a worst-case scenario.

Will a serial to usb cable work? It is a 1999 IBM Thinkpad PII 333Mz.
I'm not sure if the BIOS has been updated (date still reads 11/18/1999).

Thank you for your help.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 07:32:43PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26:37PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> >>I am trying to use an old Thinkpad 309e. (PII, 128M memory). Etch runs
> >>fine (if slow) but I am using it as sound production
> >>(recording/playback) machine.

> >>How do I get it to read my thumbdrive?
> >>

> >Then diff the two files, you'll see what changed and can mail it to us.
> >(if you just want to see what changed, look at the end of the dmesg
> >after you plug in the drive).
>
> I did this, and there is no difference in the files. I did both a diff
> and visually compared both files and there is no difference.

No change in either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.
Please confirm that you are runnin Etch (which requires use of udev?).
If this is Sarge, I remember having to figure out which module I needed
and using either modprobe or modconf to set it up. Install the
kernel-doc package for your kernel and look at the USB stuff.

> My ultimate goal is to get the thumbdrive to work--that is goal #1. The
> networking thing is a worst-case scenario.
>
> Will a serial to usb cable work? It is a 1999 IBM Thinkpad PII 333Mz.
> I'm not sure if the BIOS has been updated (date still reads 11/18/1999).

My old thinkpad PII-233 had a serial port.

As for USB serial dongle, since you're not needing the thing to boot off
of it, the BIOS shouldn't matter. The kernel should find the dongle on
the USB bus and udev should give you a device (IIRC, its something like
/dev/ttyUSB0).

Whether you use a dongle or a real serial port, you'll still need a
null-modem connector to connect to another box.

Do other USB devices work on this laptop (other than a USB light or mug
warmer)?

Doug.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 AM
ZephyrQ

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

I am trying to use an old Thinkpad 309e. (PII, 128M memory). Etch runs
fine (if slow) but I am using it as sound production
(recording/playback) machine.

How do I get it to read my thumbdrive?

Then diff the two files, you'll see what changed and can mail it to us.
(if you just want to see what changed, look at the end of the dmesg

after you plug in the drive).
I did this, and there is no difference in the files. I did both a diff
and visually compared both files and there is no difference.

No change in either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.
Please confirm that you are runnin Etch (which requires use of udev?).
If this is Sarge, I remember having to figure out which module I needed
and using either modprobe or modconf to set it up. Install the
kernel-doc package for your kernel and look at the USB stuff.

> My old thinkpad PII-233 had a serial port.

As for USB serial dongle, since you're not needing the thing to boot off
of it, the BIOS shouldn't matter. The kernel should find the dongle on
the USB bus and udev should give you a device (IIRC, its something like
/dev/ttyUSB0).

Whether you use a dongle or a real serial port, you'll still need a
null-modem connector to connect to another box.

Do other USB devices work on this laptop (other than a USB light or mug
warmer)?

I plugged in a USB mouse, and it did not work--no light either.

I am running Etch (net-installed it a month ago).

After work tomorrow, I will try to track down a serial/USB dongle.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Howard Eisenberger

On 2008-12-14, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, ZephyrQ wrote:
>> mix/edit/burn on my home machine. It has a USB port, but I've tried a
>> few things (including some BIOS settings) and I can't get it to read my
>> thumb drives (they work on all other machines, including the linux
>> ones). It does not have a cd-burner on it and I've tried to use the
>
> It is old enough that it could be USB 1.0. Not many stuff nowadays
> will work with it, but you can buy an CardBus or PCMCIA card with USB
> 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports cheaply. Does your thinkpad have a working
> CardBus/PCMCIA slot?

I have a Thinkpad 390E and also an older Toshiba, both running
Debian testing. For USB 2.0 I use a PCMCIA-USB adapter plus a
powered USB hub. I also have a cheap PCMCIA-CF (Compact Flash)
adapter that is slower but less complicated.

Both laptops are on my home network (wired or wireless), which
is what I use most of the time. The IBM 390E has a built-in
serial port and an ethernet port on the dock.

Regards,

Howard E.
Ottawa