-   -   Fan constantly ON on a Dell Latitude E5400 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/211447-fan-constantly-dell-latitude-e5400.html)

S�stien Hinderer 12-13-2008 06:04 PM

Fan constantly ON on a Dell Latitude E5400

Dear all,

A debian unstable has been installed on the above mentionned machine.
The system is used in text mode (no X server) and with very few
applications running (a few shells, an editor, a mail user agent..).
However, the fan is constantly turned on, although the temperature of
the processor reported by acpi remains around 30 degrees C.

Is this behaviour of the fan "normal", or does it prove that something
is wrongly configured or not working properly ?

Any help warmly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Sebastien.

Emanoil Kotsev 12-14-2008 08:47 AM

S�stien Hinderer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A debian unstable has been installed on the above mentionned machine.
> The system is used in text mode (no X server) and with very few
> applications running (a few shells, an editor, a mail user agent..).
> However, the fan is constantly turned on, although the temperature of
> the processor reported by acpi remains around 30 degrees C.
>
> Is this behaviour of the fan "normal", or does it prove that something
> is wrongly configured or not working properly ?
>
> Any help warmly appreciated.
> Kind regards,
> Sebastien.

I think you mean it is running on higher speed as needed?

you can check acpi in /proc and see what policy and temperature you are
using

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/*
<setting not supported>
polling frequency: 2 seconds
state: ok
temperature: 53 C
critical (S5): 126 C

I'm using lenny wit 2.6.26 kernel

which kernel are you using - check the kernel config and you can also use
top to see which program is using cpu (system load)

regards

Chris Bannister 12-15-2008 10:01 AM

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:47:39AM +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/*
> <setting not supported>
> polling frequency: 2 seconds
> state: ok
> temperature: 53 C
> critical (S5): 126 C

mmm, quite a difference on this old Latitude CPx
root@box:~# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/*
<setting not supported>
<polling disabled>
state: ok
temperature: 25 C
critical (S5): 77 C

> I'm using lenny wit 2.6.26 kernel
Same here.

P.S. A better list to discuss laptop issues would probably be
debian-laptop@lists.debian.org

--
Chris.
======