Old 12-13-2008, 07:57 AM
agou

Default aptitude: No solution found within the allotted time. Try harder?

Being fairly new to both debian and kde, I am trying to follow the
instructions on:

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html

in order to install kde4.

I am not new to Linux, only to debian; I used gentoo before, then ubuntu
which I found intolerable because of the tendency to unnecessarily dumb
down everything and hide information from the user; and because the
support for kde seemed rather inconsistent. My debian installation is
the latest stable.

I have got as far as:

aptitude -t experimental install kde4

which runs for a while, and then comes out with a seemingly endless
number of:

No solution found within the allotted time. Try harder? [Y/n]

- but no word about what is the problem. Shall I just keep pressing
return and comtinue? I abandoned it after about 20 or 30 repetitions.

So what should I do, if I actually want to run kde4? Abandon debian?
That would be a shame, it seems to one of the few worthwhile
distributions around.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

agou schreef:
> Being fairly new to both debian and kde, I am trying to follow the
> instructions on:
>
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html
>
> in order to install kde4.
Don't use experimental, it usually depends on stuff in sid. Use the kde4
backports from http://kde4.debian.net/

Sjoerd