Old 12-13-2008, 02:58 AM
"raman narasimhan"

Default need help with net configuration

sir,
me and a friend of mine had installed debian etch together. i configured my Internet while installing itself but my friend didn't. both of us have ADSL broadband connections. i'm now able to browse the net freely but his net settings haven't been set. how can we connect his system to the Internet?? does it need any specific packages??

Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 AM
"raman narasimhan"

Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 AM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

The Saturday 13 December 2008 05:02:20 raman narasimhan, you wrote*:
> sir,
> me and a friend of mine had installed debian etch together. i configured my
> Internet while installing itself but my friend didn't. both of us have ADSL
> broadband connections. i'm now able to browse the net freely but his net
> settings haven't been set. how can we connect his system to the Internet??
> does it need any specific packages??

Are you connected to internet via ethernet behind a router or directly with a
modem ? If this is the case, what is the modem ? How is it connected to the
computer (USB, ...) ?

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

--
Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
"raman narasimhan"

Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
"raman narasimhan"

Old 12-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Jeff D

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, raman narasimhan wrote:

> sir,
> me and a friend of mine had installed debian etch together. i configured my
> Internet while installing itself but my friend didn't. both of us have ADSL
> broadband connections. i'm now able to browse the net freely but his net
> settings haven't been set. how can we connect his system to the Internet??
> does it need any specific packages??

First thing you want to do is check and see if your ethernet card is
getting an IP address and that it is getting recognized. You can check
it this way:
/sbin/ifconfig

you should probably see a couple different entries there, on for lo and
hopefully one for eth0. If you see an eth0, check to see if it has an
address, it should look something like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:58:84:4a:a4
inet addr:192.168.1.200 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:90631322 (86.4 MiB) TX bytes:400396659 (381.8 MiB)

If you don't see something like that, you can try and running:
sudo dhclient eth0

you can also check the contents of /etc/network/interfaces , you should
see a couple of lines that looks something like this:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Jeff

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:23 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Saturday 2008 December 13 14:47:12 raman narasimhan wrote:
>sir,
>me and a friend of mine had installed debian etch together. i configured my
>Internet while installing itself but my friend didn't. both of us have ADSL
>broadband connections. i'm now able to browse the net freely but his net
>settings haven't been set. how can we connect his system to the Internet??
>does it need any specific packages??

There have already been replies to your original postings. If you are not
receiving them, please subscribe to the list or request a CC directly. It is
debian-* list policy not to CC the original poster on replies unless
requested, since they can access the list in a number of ways.

Sorry if you did not want a CC in this reply. I will not send them to you in
the future unless you request them.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 PM
"raman narasimhan"