-   -   cupsys installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/210856-cupsys-installation.html)

Tom Allison 12-12-2008 05:11 PM

cupsys installation

Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11
libraries?

I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the
resources available for needlessly running X11.

Ron Johnson 12-12-2008 06:17 PM

cupsys installation

Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11
libraries?

I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the
resources available for needlessly running X11.

The package cups is a "dummy" that simply depends on a kitchen sink
full of packages.

For a non-GUI system, install:
libcups2 libcupsimage2 cups-common cups-client

and probably:
cups-bsd cups-driver-gutenprint

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Ron Johnson 12-12-2008 08:45 PM

cupsys installation

Hmmm, you're right. I really did think that cups was a dummy, and
that the daemon was in a separate package. Mea culpa.

"Douglas A. Tutty" 12-13-2008 12:29 AM

cupsys installation

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:11:56PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11
> libraries?
>
> I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the
> resources available for needlessly running X11.

If you have a resource-limited box, you probably don't want to run CUPS.
What is it you're trying to do. CUPS is only one of a few print spooler
systems available.

Doug.

"Brian McKee" 12-13-2008 01:28 PM

cupsys installation

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:11:56PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
>> Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11
>> libraries?
>>
>> I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the
>> resources available for needlessly running X11.
>>

> If you have a resource-limited box, you probably don't want to run CUPS.
> What is it you're trying to do. CUPS is only one of a few print spooler
> systems available.

I've never found CUPS to be hard on resources - even on old boxes, and
the alternatives are all rather lame.... IMO

Brian

Tom Allison 12-13-2008 01:45 PM

cupsys installation