Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 PM
tyler

Default tp_smapi config

Winfried Tilanus <winfried@tilanus.com> writes:

> Install the tp_smapi modules. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
> for more information.

oops. I'm missing something. I just installed the tp-smapi packages for
my kernel, and according to the documentation on thinkwiki, I can set
the start and stop thresholds with this:

echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
echo 70 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh

Except that there is no /sys/devices/platform/smapi directory on my
system, and I cannot create the directory with mkdir. I searched my
entire system for smapi directories, BAT0 directories, or files names
{start,stop}_charge_thresh, but none exist. I tried rebooting, in case
there was some mystic kernel thing going on, but that didn't help. I
tried modprobe -l, which confirmed that the smapi modules were loaded:

/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/extra/tp-smapi/thinkpad_ec.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/extra/tp-smapi/tp_smapi.ko

I'm a little over my head - What do I need to do to get this set up?

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Micha Feigin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:23:35 -0400
tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Winfried Tilanus <winfried@tilanus.com> writes:
>
> > Install the tp_smapi modules. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
> > for more information.
>
> oops. I'm missing something. I just installed the tp-smapi packages for
> my kernel, and according to the documentation on thinkwiki, I can set
> the start and stop thresholds with this:
>
> echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
> echo 70 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh
>
> Except that there is no /sys/devices/platform/smapi directory on my
> system, and I cannot create the directory with mkdir. I searched my
> entire system for smapi directories, BAT0 directories, or files names
> {start,stop}_charge_thresh, but none exist. I tried rebooting, in case
> there was some mystic kernel thing going on, but that didn't help. I
> tried modprobe -l, which confirmed that the smapi modules were loaded:

do lsmod to make sure that they are loaded

Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
tyler

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:23:35 -0400
> tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>> Winfried Tilanus <winfried@tilanus.com> writes:
>>
>> > Install the tp_smapi modules. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
>> > for more information.
>>
>> oops. I'm missing something. I just installed the tp-smapi packages for
>> my kernel, and according to the documentation on thinkwiki, I can set
>> the start and stop thresholds with this:
>>
>> echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
>> echo 70 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh
>>
>> Except that there is no /sys/devices/platform/smapi directory on my
>> system, and I cannot create the directory with mkdir. I searched my
>> entire system for smapi directories, BAT0 directories, or files names
>> {start,stop}_charge_thresh, but none exist. I tried rebooting, in case
>> there was some mystic kernel thing going on, but that didn't help. I
>> tried modprobe -l, which confirmed that the smapi modules were loaded:
>>

> do lsmod to make sure that they are loaded

lsmod | grep smapi

produces nothing, so they aren't loaded. How do I load them? I'm not
using a custom kernel, so the instructions on ThinkWiki lead me to
believe that all I needed to do was

aptitude install tp-smapi-modules-`uname -r`

I guess there's more to it?

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 12-13-2008, 08:27 PM
tyler

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> modprobe tp_smapi

> and if you want it to load automatically at startup you will want to
> do as root
> echo tp_smapi >> /etc/modules

Thanks!

Is this a documentation bug, or is it something that we should
reasonably assume a new user of tp-smapi should know? Or maybe there's
no bug, just something I misunderstood in the tp-smapi docs at
think-wiki? Usually debian packages install themselves in such a way
that they start working without further tweaking.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
There is no theory of evolution.
Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Micha Feigin

Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Micha Feigin

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:27:55 -0400
tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> > modprobe tp_smapi
>
> > and if you want it to load automatically at startup you will want to
> > do as root
> > echo tp_smapi >> /etc/modules
> >

> Thanks!
>
> Is this a documentation bug, or is it something that we should
> reasonably assume a new user of tp-smapi should know? Or maybe there's
> no bug, just something I misunderstood in the tp-smapi docs at
> think-wiki? Usually debian packages install themselves in such a way
> that they start working without further tweaking.

It's an issue with kernel modules. They need to be loaded to work and I guess
that it is assumed that you know that if you use package that install kernel
modules.

I'm guessing that it's the debian policy to force module loading on you, plus
there is not standard way AFAIK at the moment to handle package customized
module loading in /etc/modules

Most hardware related modules load automatically when the hardware is detected,
this doesn't happen with tp_smapi, I don't know if it can be made to work with
some alias entry in /etc/modprobe.d/ as I don't know if and how this hardware
is actually detected.