Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Default New OpenOffice-3.05 on experimental

Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:11:04AM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> I have Sun Java1.6-se on my machine using Sun's installer.

Any reason for using it rather than openjdk that is now in Lenny?

openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jdk

Sun has finally released JDK. And after more than a year of hard work,
the last remaining non-free bits in there have been replaced with free
ones. Java can now be installed as a standard package just like perl,
python, PHP, Ruby, and gcc for the languages it supports. But if you
want to do extra hard work to use a non-standard copy: do it.

> I have the previous OpenOffice 3 version running just fine.
>
> The latest-and-greatest now wants to install a Debian sunjava version. I
> certainly do not need both of them and other applications that are using the
> existing libraries may not even start if I blindly replace it.

If you have it installed in /opt or /usr/local apt/dpkg won't run over
it. OTOH, you may need to play some games to get "java" and other
programs to work from the non-packaged copy. But then again, why use it?

> I think this installation should check for preexisting Java and at least allow
> me the choice, huh?

apt knows about packages installed on your system. If you have anything
that is not installed from a package: fine. But don't expect apt to know
about it. It is not an "installer". It should also have the knowledge
not to break OOo when you ask it to remove a Java (or whatever) package.

I suppose that Java packages in Debian are expected to follow a number
of conventions (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/ )
rather than being the mere output of the Sun installer. This allows
other packages to know what to expect.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend