Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 AM
David Baron

Default New OpenOffice-3.05 on experimental

I have Sun Java1.6-se on my machine using Sun's installer.
I have the previous OpenOffice 3 version running just fine.

The latest-and-greatest now wants to install a Debian sunjava version. I
certainly do not need both of them and other applications that are using the
existing libraries may not even start if I blindly replace it.

I think this installation should check for preexisting Java and at least allow
me the choice, huh?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Rene Engelhard

Hi,

David Baron wrote:
> I have Sun Java1.6-se on my machine using Sun's installer.
> I have the previous OpenOffice 3 version running just fine.
>
> The latest-and-greatest now wants to install a Debian sunjava version. I

Probably because it depends on liblucene2-java which needs a JVM.

> certainly do not need both of them and other applications that are using the
> existing libraries may not even start if I blindly replace it.

I bet not, because the paths are different, but anyway

> I think this installation should check for preexisting Java and at least allow
> me the choice, huh?

Yes. please fix your system. The stuff really depends on *any* JVM
but your package system does not know it has one -> it installs one.

If you install stuff from somewhere else it's not the packages'
problem. In this case here, you might find equivs helpful.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
.'`. René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73