Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

Default FLOSS xls-oracle converter?

Greetings,

Does anyone know a reliable converter to export a bunch of tables in
an M$ excel file to regular SQL92/2003 or, preferable, Oracle? No GUI
required, just an easy way to convert them...

TIA, sorry for the OT
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Ron Johnson

Does anyone know a reliable converter to export a bunch of tables in
an M$ excel file to regular SQL92/2003 or, preferable, Oracle? No GUI
required, just an easy way to convert them...

I'd look for two Python or Perl modules:
(1) read XLS files,
(2) connect to Oracle database.

Google should have some good links.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 2008 December 11 13:45:19 Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
>Does anyone know a reliable converter to export a bunch of tables in
>an M$ excel file to regular SQL92/2003 or, preferable, Oracle? No GUI
>required, just an easy way to convert them...

Export to CSV (just the data, no headers), create the tables manually, and
then you can probably find a loader that will insert the values OR write a
fairly trivial one in perl.

I can't think of any program that does this off-the-shelf, and there are a few
issues with the conversion that might prevent it from being completely
automatic:
(1) Foreign keys, even if unchecked are a fairly critical part of a good
database design and MS Excel doesn't have that information.
(2) Every RDBMS I've seen is strongly, statically typed.[1] This means the
type of each column has to be declared and every value in that column has to
be of that type. Excel is not, so you have to provide that information and
if you are wrong you'll get import errors.
(3) Both the MS Excel and Oracle RDBMS have closed, un- or poorly-documented
file formats. Free software developers tend to focus on open formats, so
you'll probably have to get MS Excel to save to an open format (CSV, or
Excel's likely incorrect implementation of the RFC) and then have Oracle load
from an open format (standard SQL statements, which Oracle generally supports
well) as part of the conversion process anyway.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Jochen Schulz

Nuno Magalh„es:

> Does anyone know a reliable converter to export a bunch of tables in
> an M$ excel file to regular SQL92/2003 or, preferable, Oracle? No GUI
> required, just an easy way to convert them...

Oracle's sqlldr can import CSV-like files.

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree] [Disagree]