Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Ken Heard

Default Cannot get Etch installer to accept partitions -- success

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

Summary of what I have snipped from my original post which Douglas
answered. I had created *six* RAID1 arrays, with only one partition in
each array, and listed the details in my post.

> I've never considered having so many raid arrays on two disks. I have
> two arrays (both raid1, one for /boot, the other for LVM).
>
> Since this is all raid1, I'd do it with two raid1s (one for /boot, the
> other for LVM), and then use LVs to split up the raid1, then mark the
> LVs as physical device for encryption.

Following Douglas's advice, I now have -- finally, after much
experimentation -- the following RAID arrays and partitions:

LVM VG VG1, LV home - 865.1 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 865.1 GB K crypto (VG1-home_crypt)
Encrypted volume (VG1-home_crypt) - 865.1 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 865.1 GB F xfs /home
LVM VG VG1, LV root - 10.7 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 10.7 GB F xfs /
LVM VG VG1, LV swap - 2.1 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 2.1 GB K crypto (VG1-swap_crypt)
Encrypted volume (VG1-swap_crypt) - 2.1 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 2.1 GB F swap swap
LVM VG VG1, LV tmp - 524.3 MB Linux device-mapper
#1 524.3 MB K crypto (VG1-tmp_crypt)
Encrypted volume (VG1-tmp_crypt) - 524.3 MB Linux device-mapper
#1 524.3 MB F xfs /tmp
LVM VG VG1 LV var - 4.1 GB Linux device-mapper
#1 4.1 GB F xfs /var
RAID1 device #0 - 98.6 MB Software RAID device
#1 98.6 MB F xfs /boot
RAID1 device #1 - 2.0 GB Software RAID device
#1 1.0 T K lvm
SCS12 (0,0,0) (sda) - 1.0 TB ATA SAMSUNG HD103UJ
#1 primary 98.7 MB B K raid
#2 primary 1.0 TB K raid
SCS12 (0,1,0) (sdb) - 1.0 TB ATA SAMSUNG HD103UJ
#1 primary 98.7 MB B K raid
#2 primary 1.0 TB K raid

Note that I now have only two RAID1 arrays, one for boot and the other
for everything else for LVs, as he has.

I have encrypted three of the LVs: home, swap and tmp. Home has a LUKS
passphrase. The other two have random keys.

Something strange happened when I was setting up the three encrypted
LVs. I set up home and and swap without any problems. When I came to
set up tmp, I discovered that the installer had already configured it
to be a *swap* configured LV, in spite of the fact that I had already
configured another LV as an encrypted swap.

The other strange thing happens on boot. One of the messages which
screens by on boot says:

XFS mounting file system dm-1
failed (in red)

Dm-1 is the /var partition.

Likewise, on shutdown, the following message appears:

Stopping MD array md-1 failed - busy (last two words in red)

These messages do not seem to have any effect on performance. This Etch
installation has been running for three weeks now. There have been --
and still are -- problems; but so far nothing to hang permanently the box.

There are however occasions where this box -- and the other box with
Etch which my spouse uses -- hang to the point where they have to be
rebooted -- approximately three time a week for each one.

> Have you submitted an installation report as per the installation manual
> and subscribed to debian-boot? The debian-boot people wrote the
> installer and should know what's up.

No, I have not. Perhaps I should report not only the foregoing but also
comment on the Installation Guide. I have spent a significant part of
my career writing technical manuals. The Guide violates just about
every good practice recommended for such documents.

Ken Heard

Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:06:26PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> I have encrypted three of the LVs: home, swap and tmp. Home has a LUKS
> passphrase. The other two have random keys.

You may want to consider encrypting /var/tmp, depending on what
applications you use and where they may put stuff.

Doug.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:06:26PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:

> > Have you submitted an installation report as per the installation manual
> > and subscribed to debian-boot? The debian-boot people wrote the
> > installer and should know what's up.
>
> No, I have not. Perhaps I should report not only the foregoing but also
> comment on the Installation Guide. I have spent a significant part of
> my career writing technical manuals. The Guide violates just about
> every good practice recommended for such documents.

OT:

Do you have a recommended book that constains the good practice
recommendations for tech manuals?

Doug.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:06:26PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> No, I have not. Perhaps I should report not only the foregoing but also
> comment on the Installation Guide. I have spent a significant part of
> my career writing technical manuals. The Guide violates just about
> every good practice recommended for such documents.

Any constructive criticisim should be welcome.

--
Chris.
======

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Chris Bannister wrote:

No, I have not. Perhaps I should report not only the foregoing but also
comment on the Installation Guide. I have spent a significant part of
my career writing technical manuals. The Guide violates just about
every good practice recommended for such documents.

Any constructive criticisim should be welcome.

I would NEVER make /boot anything but ext3. It is well known, well
supported and the tools for it are everywhere. There is no reason to
have it as anything else. But that is just me. xfs is real good at
large files. There are no large files in /boot. Now, I suppose that
TODAY a lot more rescue toys have xfs installed, so this might not be
such a big deal.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser