Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"

Default trouble with my repo?

Hi

I ran the following command, "debootstrap sid temp
http://localhost/sid" which aborts on the following problem:

<start>
I: Unpacking wget...
I: Unpacking whiptail...
W: Failure while installing base packages. This will be re-attempted
up to five times.
<end>

when chrooting into environment, and issueing "apt-get install", I see
a whole lot of locales warnings:

<start>
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
77 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_ZA.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Setting up libbz2-1.0 (1.0.5-1) ...
[...]
<end>

Where can the problem be?

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-12-11 12:42 +0100, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> Hi
>
> I ran the following command, "debootstrap sid temp
> http://localhost/sid" which aborts on the following problem:
>
> <start>
> I: Unpacking wget...
> I: Unpacking whiptail...
> W: Failure while installing base packages. This will be re-attempted
> up to five times.
> <end>

No more explicit error messages?

> when chrooting into environment, and issueing "apt-get install", I see
> a whole lot of locales warnings:
>
> <start>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> 77 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = (unset),
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "en_ZA.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

This is harmless noise that Perl spits out. Either export LC_ALL=C or
install and configure the locales package in the chroot to avoid it.

> Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)

No disaster either, this can be avoided by mounting /dev/pts inside
the chroot. I do

# mount -t devpts devpts /path/to/chroot/dev/pts

before chrooting.

Sven

Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2008-12-11 12:42 +0100, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I ran the following command, "debootstrap sid temp
>> http://localhost/sid" which aborts on the following problem:
>>
>> <start>
>> I: Unpacking wget...
>> I: Unpacking whiptail...
>> W: Failure while installing base packages. This will be re-attempted
>> up to five times.
>> <end>
>
> No more explicit error messages?

That 'W' was the last.

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 AM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
<tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I ran the following command, "debootstrap sid temp
> http://localhost/sid" which aborts on the following problem:
>
> <start>
> I: Unpacking wget...
> I: Unpacking whiptail...
> W: Failure while installing base packages. This will be re-attempted
> up to five times.
> <end>
>
> when chrooting into environment, and issueing "apt-get install", I see
> a whole lot of locales warnings:
>
> <start>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> 77 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = (unset),
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "en_ZA.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
> Setting up libbz2-1.0 (1.0.5-1) ...
> [...]
> <end>
>
> Where can the problem be?
>
> --
> my place on the web:
> floss-and-misc.blogspot.com

The problem was revealed by applying the verbosity option to
cdeboostrap which revealed some conflict trouble with rsyslog with old
syslogd. Running the following fixed my problem:

$ sudo cdebootstrap -v --allow-unauthenticated --exclude=rsyslog sid
temp http://localhost/sid

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com