Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 AM
lee

Default cannot execute grub

Hi,

is grub executable on i386 only, or does it requre 32bit support in
the kernel? I turned the 32bit support in the kernel off because I
didn't use it, tried out some powermanagement options and now made
another kernel with different options, but I can't set it up:

cat:/boot# grub
bash: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
cat:/boot#

Hmmm ...:

cat:/boot# file /usr/sbin/grub
/usr/sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
cat:/boot#

Removing and reinstalling grub doesn't make a difference, but
update-grub seems to work (I never used that before). What kind of
magic is that?

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm

Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-12-11 08:49 +0100, lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is grub executable on i386 only, or does it requre 32bit support in
> the kernel?

It does require 32-bit emulation on amd64, yes.

> cat:/boot# file /usr/sbin/grub
> /usr/sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped

There you go.

> Removing and reinstalling grub doesn't make a difference, but
> update-grub seems to work (I never used that before). What kind of
> magic is that?

Well, update-grub updates menu.lst but does not call grub if device.map
already exists, AFAIK.

Sven

Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 AM
lee

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:14:57AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-12-11 08:49 +0100, lee wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is grub executable on i386 only, or does it requre 32bit support in
> > the kernel?
>
> It does require 32-bit emulation on amd64, yes.
>
> > cat:/boot# file /usr/sbin/grub
> > /usr/sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
>
> There you go.

Shouldn't there be an amd64 version of grub?

> > Removing and reinstalling grub doesn't make a difference, but
> > update-grub seems to work (I never used that before). What kind of
> > magic is that?
>
> Well, update-grub updates menu.lst but does not call grub if device.map
> already exists, AFAIK.

Hm, I thought I had to run grub to get a new kernel installed. So
changing the menu.list is all it takes?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-12-12 03:38 +0100, lee wrote:

> Shouldn't there be an amd64 version of grub?

There should be, but there isn't. Poking around in the source I found a
pointer to a binutils bug, http://bugs.debian.org/244498. Apparently
nobody is really interested in resolving that issue, so you're on your
own if you would like to fix it.

Given that grub is in maintenance mode, you probably have to switch to
grub2 aka grub-pc for a 64-bit version if you cannot fix grub yourself.

> Hm, I thought I had to run grub to get a new kernel installed. So
> changing the menu.list is all it takes?

Yes, grub is not lilo, you know.

Sven

Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 AM
lee

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:59:35AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-12-12 03:38 +0100, lee wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't there be an amd64 version of grub?
>
> There should be, but there isn't. Poking around in the source I found a
> pointer to a binutils bug, http://bugs.debian.org/244498. Apparently
> nobody is really interested in resolving that issue, so you're on your
> own if you would like to fix it.

Well, as long as it works, it doesn't really matter.

> > Hm, I thought I had to run grub to get a new kernel installed. So
> > changing the menu.list is all it takes?
>
> Yes, grub is not lilo, you know.

Yeah --- when they switched to grub, I had to figure out anew how to
get kernels installed, and that seemed to involve running grub. Since
then, I just did it that way and it worked.