Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Micha Feigin

Default OT: laptop recomendations

Hello,

Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
since it's a working laptop.

I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best). I
also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
continent (haven't managed to run into worse). Lenovo 3000 series also has a
bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.

Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
the one button issue although the design is nice).

Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
with the synaptic).

Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.

Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
case of mulfunciton etc.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
lee

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:45:09AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:

> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Fujitsu/Siemens made the worst laptops I've seen (battery problems,
PSU problems, horrible performance); LG is no-name so that you won't
be able to get a new battery or other spare parts when you need them.

Besides, Fujitsu/Siemens took about 12 weeks or so to replace a broken
tape drive under warranty.

People kept telling me that Mitsubishi makes good laptops, but at the
same time, they told me that their laptops won't survive falling from
the drivers seat in a car, which, of course, makes them useless.

There is also no laptop that would be up to the temperature
specifications for mobile devices (-40 to 120C).

Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
> the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up
> to par with the synaptic).

I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505. My roommate is happy with his more
recent laptop purchase from Dell. My other roommate likes his Thinkpad, but
it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects the quality of
current Thinkpads.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM

We have both a Sony VAIO and a Fujitsu Lifebook. The VAIO is clearly
superior. We also just doused our Dell. Not good quality either.
Larry

Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Allan Wind

On 2008-12-11T00:45:09, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).

I have used a number of the t-series ThinkPads and they have all been
great. No service experience with them, although I do like that they
send you an email with your warranty expires.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/12/11 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
> since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best). I
> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
> continent (haven't managed to run into worse). Lenovo 3000 series also has a
> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>
> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
> with the synaptic).
>
> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>
> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>
> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> case of mulfunciton etc.
>
> Thanks

I've got a Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 2.0 gHz Duo Core laptop with 2GB
of RAM that I've been lugging on my back since January 2007. 15.4"
1680x1050 screen, works great with Compiz, wifi, bluetooth. Terrific
keyboard too. At the time it was about $1200 but it should be less
now. My only regret is the 80 GB hard drive, which is too small. Be
sure that you get a 7200 RPM hard drive no matter what size you buy.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Micha Feigin wrote:

[...]

I love my Dell XPS. I have a 13.3', but there are versions with larger
screens. They can be bought with Ubuntu preinstalled, so you know for
sure that Linux works on these systems. Also some Inspirions can be
bought with Ubuntu, which saves you a Windows licence.

Sjoerd

Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Jack Schneider

--

Hi, I concur with the "DELL" idea. I have an "Precision M60" 3-years
old and it's a tank. still using initial battery. I would recommend

Jack

Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Arc Roca

I am running sid in a toshiba satellite a205-S5831, circuit city for $400 usd (scratches, etc). Sound card crappy, wifi had to be activated with madwifi (see wiki.debian.org). Otherwise, good laptop.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Micha Feigin wrote:

[...]

Well, I think you just asked "What is the best religion?" I like my
Dell Vostro 1500. Sealed keyboard, titanium skeleton inside to prevent
flex. Vostros can't be docked but Latitudes can be and have those very
same features. With my 9 cell battery, I have battery for at least 5
hours (my power applet reports 7 hours, but I never trim the brightness
and such things to archive that.) It is big, bulky, heavy. It also is
tough. All version of Linux (that I tried) runs just fine.

Mine is running Debian Testing right now. I also have the Dell wireless
(which is a broadcom) and had no problem in getting it to work. Watch
out for getting the Intel wireless, you need to make sure that it is not
a newer one not supported (happened to a friend who got a 1700). It is
pretty, like a tank or an attach aircraft is pretty, built to take
abuse. I have no problems with it.

OTHO, my friend purchased a 1700 from Dell's refurbed site. It had
stability issues and after many calls to Dell, they had him ship it
back. A week later he got it back and the wireless would not work (it
appears to have been the wrong one installed). Dell had him ship it
back for more work. Now here is the Good news. Two week later, they
shipped him a brand new Vostro 1700, with a HD upgrade to 300GB (from
100GB) at no charge. So: You can get great deals from Dells
refurbished site, they seem to stand behind warranty issues.

IMHO, stop looking at Consumer grade laptops, look at business class
machines. For Dell that is the Vostro, Latitude, Precision and XPS Laptops.

HTH!

Damon Chesser
damon@damtek.com