Old 12-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Erik Sundin

Default OT: laptop recomendations

On Friday 12 December 2008 03:24:35 Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
> "Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> > and, so far, we had no problems with it.
>
> I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
> problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
> into it, sat on it, etc. The battery life is quite low, only about an
> hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC. [Tangent:
> my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
> charge / discharge cycles reduce it. Is this true?]
>
> I've never dealt with Acer support.
>
> This was already a low end machine when I purchased it, but it is quite
> usable for my needs:
>
> Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHZ
> 512MB RAM (recently upgraded to 2GB, not because I needed it, but
> because I found a steal on RAM)
> 60GB HDD
> Broadcom wireless (4318, supported perfectly by b43)
> 15 inch screen, Intel 945GM graphics
> Intel 82801G stuff inside
>
> The OP asked about performance, but IIUC, that will depend mostly on
> the actual components used, not on the build quality or any special
> sauce of the integrator. I daresay I'm oversimplifying, and I'll
> appreciate corrections
>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

I have an Acer Aspire 5310 and for compability it's *really* god.
I've also had dealings with Acer support here in Sweden and I have always been
Impressed with the fact that they acctually seem to have pretty good
technical knowledege, even at the "frontline".
The best thing about it is in my opinion the big screen and the nice keyboard,
the intel 950GM is also pretty well suported in lenny.

//Sundin

Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Micha Feigin

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:24:35 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
> "Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> > and, so far, we had no problems with it.
>
> I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
> problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
> into it, sat on it, etc. The battery life is quite low, only about an
> hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC. [Tangent:
> my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
> charge / discharge cycles reduce it. Is this true?]

Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under charging. If
it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather quickly. What I have on
my current thinkpad is the ability to stop charging before 100% and that can
add quite a bit of like to the battery.

A friend of mine as a lenovo 3000 (very bad track record with them with the
university staff), which was always plugged in and almost always on, the
battery is mostly dead in a year.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
tyler

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under
> charging. If it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather
> quickly. What I have on my current thinkpad is the ability to stop
> charging before 100% and that can add quite a bit of like to the
> battery.

How do you do this? I've got a thinkpad R60, and I've been plugging it
in when it runs low, then (when I remember), unplugging it when it
reaches full charge. Is there some way to automate this? I know the
Windows partition has some configuration options, but I don't know how
to do this under Debian.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Winfried Tilanus

On 12/12/2008 12:58 PM, tyler wrote:

> How do you do this? I've got a thinkpad R60, and I've been plugging it
> in when it runs low, then (when I remember), unplugging it when it
> reaches full charge. Is there some way to automate this? I know the
> Windows partition has some configuration options, but I don't know how
> to do this under Debian.

Install the tp_smapi modules. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
for more information.

Winfried

Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Michael Shuler

On 12/12/2008 05:58 AM, tyler wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
>> Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under
>> charging. If it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather
>> quickly. What I have on my current thinkpad is the ability to stop
>> charging before 100% and that can add quite a bit of like to the
>> battery.
>
> How do you do this? I've got a thinkpad R60, and I've been plugging it
> in when it runs low, then (when I remember), unplugging it when it
> reaches full charge. Is there some way to automate this? I know the
> Windows partition has some configuration options, but I don't know how
> to do this under Debian.

Been using settings for charge control from here for a year or so:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi#Battery_charge_control_features

--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler

Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM
"Ismael Scalcon"

Well, both my EEE Pc and my girlfriend's Aspire 4520 stop charging the
battery when 100% (the battery charging light turn off and the OS
energy manager just says "Using AC" instead of "Charging". Both in my
EEE Pc Debian and My girlfriends Aspire Windows XP.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
tyler

Winfried Tilanus <winfried@tilanus.com> writes:

> On 12/12/2008 12:58 PM, tyler wrote:
>
>> How do you do this? I've got a thinkpad R60, and I've been plugging it
>> in when it runs low, then (when I remember), unplugging it when it
>> reaches full charge. Is there some way to automate this? I know the
>> Windows partition has some configuration options, but I don't know how
>> to do this under Debian.
>
> Install the tp_smapi modules. See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
> for more information.

Great, thanks!

Cheers,

Tyler

--
``I have no "intellectual property," and I think that all claimants to
such property are thieves.' --Wendell Berry

http://home.btconnect.com/tipiglen/resist.html

Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Daryl Styrk

Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Sergey Skorokhodov

Hi,

<skip>

> picked up a thinkpad T42 off lease, nice machine, everything works out
> of the box. also have an acer aspire, amd, nvidia, everything worked
> out of the box. alienware m9700, everything works except webcam.

About apire... No problems with hot keys? No problems with
suspend/resume?

--
Best regards,
Serge

Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:20:03 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under charging. If
> it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather quickly. What I have on
> my current thinkpad is the ability to stop charging before 100% and that can
> add quite a bit of like to the battery.

Thanks for the information. I've been using my laptop for about two
years, for an average of probably several hours of power-on a day. The
design_charge is 2000000, and the current / now charge is 1792000, so I
suppose it hasn't degraded too badly yet. This is, I believe, a bottom
of the barrel battery, on a rather low end system, which I guess also
means less power draw, although my understanding is that the Celeron
has crippled power management. When new, I got a fairly consistent 1.5
hours till shutdown, and I haven't done a drain test recently.

You mention overcharging; as Ismael says in another message in this
thread, the system seems to know when the battery is full and stops
charging; the power LED goes from red to green, and ACPI reports
"full", not "charging". Does it really keep charging, to the
detriment of the batter?

Celejar