Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

Default OT: laptop recomendations

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:54:41AM -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:

> --
>
> Hi, I concur with the "DELL" idea. I have an "Precision M60" 3-years

Is that an answer or a signature?

'-- ' on a line of its own is a signature separator. If you really like
'--' as a separator line, just don't put the extra space after it.

As in:

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Anoop Aryal

I used to swear by toshiba until 3-4 satallite pros (all bought at
around the same time) died. right after the warrenty expired. all of 'em
kinda died at around the same time too - within 1-2 months. I hear
someone has a howto on how to wave the soldering iron on it to nurse it
back to health if you are handy with the said piece of hardware.

On one of 'em the hinge broke. After I took it apart to investigate, I
was disappointed at the quality of it's chasis. This was the top of the
line series too..

No toshiba for me.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Jack Schneider

--
Just Carelessness.. 8-)
Jack

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Daryl Styrk

Anoop Aryal wrote:
> I used to swear by toshiba until 3-4 satallite pros (all bought at
> around the same time) died. right after the warrenty expired. all of 'em
> kinda died at around the same time too - within 1-2 months. I hear
> someone has a howto on how to wave the soldering iron on it to nurse it
> back to health if you are handy with the said piece of hardware.
>
> On one of 'em the hinge broke. After I took it apart to investigate, I
> was disappointed at the quality of it's chasis. This was the top of the
> line series too..
>
> No toshiba for me.
>

> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 00:45 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
>> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
>> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
>> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
>> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
>> since it's a working laptop.
>>
>> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best). I
>> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
>> continent (haven't managed to run into worse). Lenovo 3000 series also has a
>> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
>> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>>
>> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
>> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
>> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>>
>> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
>> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
>> with the synaptic).
>>
>> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>>
>> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>>
>> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
>> case of mulfunciton etc.
>>
>> Thanks

I would never part with my T-61 (type 7658 here). Not a single problem,
everything but wireless works with lenny out of the box..
(firmware-iwlwifi will get it going)

Has a keyboard designed to help out if spilled on.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki with a lot of documentation to
mess with.

Standard battery (4 cell I think) gives me ~3hrs, and you have the
option to replace the optic drive with a battery and/or replace the 4
cell with a 9 cell supposedly gives 8 full hours.

Screen is great, keyboard is spot on best I've ever used. BIOS has a
lot of options, more than I care to mess with.

I hated the pointing stick or whatever you call it at first but now I
don't know if I could live without it.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

http://xkcd.com/243/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Daryl Styrk

Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
"Juan Carlos Avila"

www.emperorlinux.com

Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
steve

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that
>> will run
>> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
>> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important
>> is good
>> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
>> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service
>> is a must
>> since it's a working laptop.
>>
>> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at
>> best). I
>> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just
>> about every
>> continent (haven't managed to run into worse). Lenovo 3000 series
>> also has a
>> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience
>> with the
>> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>>
>> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either
>> stick with
>> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not
>> sure about
>> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>>
>> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when
>> looking at the
>> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up
>> to par
>> with the synaptic).
>>
>> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>>
>> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>>
>> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service
>> experience in
>> case of mulfunciton etc.
>>
>> Thanks

picked up a thinkpad T42 off lease, nice machine, everything works out
of the box. also have an acer aspire, amd, nvidia, everything worked
out of the box. alienware m9700, everything works except webcam.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 12-12-2008, 12:39 AM
"Ismael Scalcon"

I don't know about your fancy laptops that you have in the first
world, but here in Brazil I use an HP Pavillion dv1000 at work, and
the thing survived everything bad that could happen to an electronic
device (including being plugged in 380 Volt).
Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
and, so far, we had no problems with it.

Or, you can go with my personal choice, and buy an EEE Pc :-) (ok, I
know, it got no big screen and no processing power, but runs Debian
with Gnome really well and cover all my needs for the moment)

Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Celejar

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
"Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> and, so far, we had no problems with it.

I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
into it, sat on it, etc. The battery life is quite low, only about an
hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC. [Tangent:
my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
charge / discharge cycles reduce it. Is this true?]

I've never dealt with Acer support.

This was already a low end machine when I purchased it, but it is quite
usable for my needs:

Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHZ
512MB RAM (recently upgraded to 2GB, not because I needed it, but
because I found a steal on RAM)
60GB HDD
Broadcom wireless (4318, supported perfectly by b43)
15 inch screen, Intel 945GM graphics
Intel 82801G stuff inside

The OP asked about performance, but IIUC, that will depend mostly on
the actual components used, not on the build quality or any special
sauce of the integrator. I daresay I'm oversimplifying, and I'll
appreciate corrections

Celejar