Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Tom Ashley

Default How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?

> Brendan West wrote:
> > I am using gnome. The problem I am having with user privileges,
> > though, is only on the gui. I can easily use the root privileges on
> > the terminal. I am trying to use AVG 7.5, but it says that I don't
> > have the privileges to access the executable.

Perhaps gksu will accomplish what you want.

Regards,

Tom Ashley

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:48:26PM -0600, Brendan West wrote:
> I am using gnome. The problem I am having with user privileges,
> though, is only on the gui. I can easily use the root privileges on
> the terminal. I am trying to use AVG 7.5, but it says that I don't
> have the privileges to access the executable.

Hmmm... and being root gives you the permissions? Are you sure?

Or is it just the case that you need to make a program executable?

(Would be the same for a user or root)

Here's a test program:

$ cp /usr/bin/uptime /tmp/test_program
$ /tmp/test_program
20:21:41 up 2 days, 7:44, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Let's make it non-executable:

$ chmod a-x /tmp/test_program
$ /tmp/test_program
-bash: /tmp/test_program: Permission denied

Executable again:

$ chmod a+x /tmp/test_program
$ /tmp/test_program
20:22:29 up 2 days, 7:45, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

That said, there's really no point in using that specific program (as
already mentioned), as there are better alternatives that are already
included in your distribution.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend